Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 22
Jack Berry accepted an appointment at Northwestern University in 1964 as professor of African Languages and Linguistics. He held this position until his death on December 4, 1980. He served as the director of Northwstern's Program of Oriental and African Languages. His papers fill eighteen legal size boxes. They consist of biographical materials, correspondence, and reports, research files and publications.
DeCoster taught Spanish at Northwestern University for 16 years. He was the author of 11 books and 35 scholarly articles. DeCoster's research focused on 19th century Spanish literature. The Cyrus C. DeCoster Papers fill one box and span the years 1948-1999. The material summarizes Professor DeCoster's academic work, and is divided into six subseries: biographical material, published articles, book reviews, reviews of books, “Pardo Bazán” drafts, and Juan Valera research material.
The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
Bergen Evans joined the faculty of Northwestern University in the department of English in 1932. He was an incredibly popular instructor, and remained at Northwestern until his retirement in 1974. The Bergen Evans Papers, comprising 83 boxes and spanning the period 1921–1978, includes biographical materials, educational materials, correspondence, teaching materials, research and consulting files, addresses, television and radio program files, and publications.
The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
The Harrison Hayford papers fill seventy-two boxes, spanning the years 1916 to 2002. The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence files, Northwestern University teaching files, Northwestern University student files and, most significantly, the Herman Melville Editing Project files.
German poet and literary critic Hans Egon Holthusen taught German Language and Literature at Northwesern University from 1968-1981. His papers contain offprints, manuscripts, publications, and correspondence (copies), which Holthusen received from distinguished European authors, poets, and philosophers.
The J. Kenneth Leslie Papers fill thirteen boxes and span the period 1926-1985. They are arranged in six categories: education files, correspondence files, teaching files, administration files, research files, and publications. Four folders of biographical materials are included as well. A portion of the collection is in Spanish.
Scholar and professor of English Literature Arthur Hobart Nethercot joined NU's English faculty in 1919 and remained with the University until retirement. The Arthur Nethercot Papers consist of biographical materials and clippings documenting Nethercot's career at Northwestern, correspondence from literary figures, and copies and reprints of Nethercot's poetry, fiction, and scholarly publications.
The Stuart G. P. Small Papers fill eight boxes and span the period 1947-1989. The papers are organized in four main categories: biographical materials, correspondence, teaching files and publications.
The Grundy Steiner (1916-2004) Papers cover the years 1937 to 2004. They consist largely of teaching files and correspondence from Professor Steiner's time teaching Latin and classics at Northwestern University (1947-1984). The papers contain research notes for publications, classes, and lectures, as well as biographical materials like Northwestern personnel records and biographies.
Frederick S. Stimson came to Northwestern University in 1954 as instructor in Romance Languages, attaining the rank of professor in 1967. Much of his research and writing dealt with Hispanic poetry in Latin America. The Frederick S. Stimson Papers occupy one and a half boxes and span the period 1953-1981, with most of the material falling between 1960 and 1974. The papers are arranged in two main categories (teaching files and publications), with one folder of biographical materials.
- English literature--Study and teaching 10
- Spanish literature--Study and teaching 3
- African literature--Study and teaching 2
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- German literature--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question (Television program) 1
- African languages--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Authors, German 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Classical languages--Study and teaching 1
- Classical literature--Study and teaching 1
- Down You Go (Television program) 1
- English language--Study and teaching 1
- German language--Study and teaching--Foreign speakers 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Latin literature--Study and teaching 1
- Lawyers 1
- Linguistics--Research 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Philosophy, German 1
- Poets, German 1
- Spanish language--Study and teaching--Foreign speakers 1
- Spanish poetry--History and criticism 1 + ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 14
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Romance Languages 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Classics 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of German 2
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Berry, Jack 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- DeCoster, Cyrus Cole, 1914-1999 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heller, Erich, 1911-1990 1
- Holthusen, Hans Egon, 1913-1997 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Leslie, John Kenneth, 1907-1985 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish and Portuguese 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de, 1852-1921 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932-2021 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Small, Stuart G. P. 1
- Steiner, Grundy, 1916-2004 1
- Stimson, Frederick S. (Frederick Sparks), 1919-2001 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Valera, Juan, 1824-1905 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 + ∧ less