Showing Collections: 121 - 140 of 220
Abstract The Richard W. Jones papers are arranged in three boxes and span the period 1942—1980. The papers include a small amount of biographical materials, teaching materials including lecture and research notes, and the draft of an unpublished book. Biographical materials include clippings, press releases, vitas, and other items as well as Jones' account of the early years of biomedical engineering at Northwestern. He delivered this account at the Richard W. Jones Symposium held at Northwestern...
Abstract The David Joravsky papers fill thirteen boxes and are arranged into six categories: biographical materials; correspondence files; materials relating to Joravsky's service on behalf of Northwestern University; non-Northwestern teaching files; materials pertaining to scholarly organizations; and publications, research, and grant applications files. The bulk of the series, nine boxes, is comprised of materials concerning Joravsky's work on behalf of Northwestern...
Abstract Harold Kaplan was a professor of English and American Literature at Northwestern University from 1972 to 1986, when he became professor emeritus. Before coming to Northwestern, Kaplan taught at Rutgers University and Bennington College, after having served in the United States Air Force for four years. He received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Chicago. This collection includes Kaplan’s class notes, drafts for books and essays, correspondence, talks, and the reviews of his...
Abstract Composer and music professor M. William Karlins came to Northwestern as an Associate Professor of Theory and Composition, and in 1973, he was appointed a full Professor. He was also the director of the Northwestern University Contemporary Music Ensemble from 1967 until his retirement in August 2001. The M. William Karlins Papers fill 12 boxes and consist almost exclusively of his musical works. The material spans the period 1953 to 2004, with the bulk of the materials dating between 1957 and...
Overview Researcher, scientist and writer Paul Klopsteg's (1889-1991) papers include biographical materials, education files, correspondence, archery files, governmental organizations files, professional organizations files, publications files, religion files, speech manuscript files, and material relating to World Wars I and II.
Abstract Irving M. Klotz (born 1916) taught biochemistry, biology and chemistry at Northwestern University from 1940-1986. His papers fill 76 boxes and consist largely of correspondence between Klotz and colleagues, students, and businesses, as well as a large collection of his research notes and publications.
Abstract The Alvina Krause Collection fills ten boxes and spans the dates 1929-2003. The bulk of the collection consists of Krause's teaching notes from her years at Northwestern University's School of Speech. Most of the material in this collection was gathered over many years by David Downs, a former student of Krause's and faculty member in Northwestern University's School of Communication. The collection includes a substantial number of photocopies that Downs made. While the collection lacks the...
Abstract The George G. Lamb Papers fill thirteen boxes and one oversize folder and span the years from 1935 to 1977. The Papers are arranged in nine categories including: biographical materials, general and family correspondence, teaching files, research files, professional societies, papers presented at professional meetings, publications, administrative materials, and miscellaneous. The biographical materials include curricula vitae, faculty report forms, biographical data for various...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract Joseph Lambert began joined the chemistry faculty in 1965 at Northwestern University, where he spent the rest of his career. At Northwestern he was director of the Integrated Science Program (1982–1985), chairman of the Chemistry Department (1986–1989), and Charles Deering McCormick Professor of Teaching Excellence (1999–2003). Lambert held the position of Clare Hamilton Hall Professor of Chemistry from 1991 until his retirement in 2010. The Joseph Lambert Papers include Biographical Files,...
Abstract The Irving Lee Papers fill one box and span the period 1940-1945. The papers are organized into five categories: biographical materials, correspondence, teaching materials, speeches, and publications.
Abstract The Laura Lee Papers include biographical materials, correspondence, teaching materials, speeches, and publications.
Abstract The papers of Oliver J. Lee fill one half-size box. They consist of several biographical accounts, a small amount of correspondence, a poem, a tribute to his predecessor, Philip Fox, and reprints of his articles.
Abstract Leigh Buchanan Bienen, senior lecturer at the Northwestern School of Law and wife of Northwestern University president Henry S. Bienen, joined the School of Law in 1995, the same year her husband took office. She lectures in the areas of criminal law, juries, and law and social science, and has additional areas of interest and expertise in capital punishment, sex crimes, and rape reform legislation. In addition, she is a prolific writer of fiction, mainly short stories and plays....
Abstract The Simeon E. Leland Papers, comprising 23 boxes and one package, span the years 1918 to 1972 and contain biographical materials, general correspondence, writings and speeches, course and teaching materials, research and reference files, and files of the University of Chicago Social Science Research Committee pertaining to its investigation of the role of public debt in the modern state. The papers document Leland's career in academics and government service as a specialist in the fields of...
Abstract The Richard W. Leopold papers are prodigious in both volume and scope. They document not only the long and productive career of an eminent scholar but also reflect many significant issues and developments in the historical profession and at Northwestern University during the twentieth century. The material spans the period of Leopold's life although the vast bulk date between 1938 and 1980, the years of his teaching career. His papers include correspondence and other materials of...
Abstract The J. Kenneth Leslie Papers fill thirteen boxes and span the period 1926-1985. They are arranged in six categories: education files, correspondence files, teaching files, administration files, research files, and publications. Four folders of biographical materials are included as well. A portion of the collection is in Spanish.
Scope and Contents The Louis Norton Dodge papers, filling one half-size box and one expandable binder, consist of a thin file of general biographical items along with a small collection of musical compositions. Those compositions are categorized as student exercise books, teaching material, and musical manuscripts and transcriptions. The papers are reflective, certainly, of Dodge’s life and interests but also of the School of Music’s pedagogy during the years of his association with Northwestern.
Abstract The Raymond W. Mack papers fill two and one-half boxes and span the years from 1951 through 1995. The papers focus primarily on Mack's work as a sociologist, with some biographical material included. The papers are separated into three distinct categories: biographical materials, correspondence and publications.
Abstract The Records of Raymond W. Mack consist of twelve and a half boxes, spanning the years 1958 to 1986. The records include documents from Mack's years as Vice President and Dean of Faculties and as Provost, with the majority of records relating to the Provost's office. Although Mack became Vice President and Dean of Faculties in 1971, a small number of documents with earlier dates are also included in this series. Some of these are from the office of Payson Wild, who served as Provost before Mack,...
Abstract The Ney MacMinn Papers fill one box and span the period 1925-1994, with the bulk of the material from 1941-1967. The papers are organized into three categories: biographical materials, correspondence and diaries.
- Law--Study and teaching 11
- English literature--Study and teaching 10
- Economics--Study and teaching 8
- Chemistry--Study and teaching 7
- History--Study and teaching 7
- Mathematics--Study and teaching 7
- Sociology--Study and teaching 7
- Theater--Study and teaching 7
- Physics--Study and teaching 6
- Political science--Study and teaching 6
- Economists 5
- Lawyers 5
- Chemical engineering--Study and teaching 4
- Education--Study and teaching 4
- Music--Instruction and study 4
- Acting--Study and teaching 3
- Art--Study and teaching 3
- Artists 3
- Chemists 3
- Civil engineering--Study and teaching 3
- English language--Study and teaching 3
- Europe--History--Study and teaching 3
- Philosophy--Study and teaching 3
- Physical education and training--Study and teaching 3
- Pianists 3
- Religions--Study and teaching 3
- Spanish literature--Study and teaching 3
- United States--History--Study and teaching 3
- African Americans--Study and teaching 2
- African literature--Study and teaching 2
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Anthropologists 2
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 2
- Astrophysics--Study and teaching 2
- Band directors 2
- Biochemistry--Study and teaching 2
- Business--History--Study and teaching 2
- Chemical engineers 2
- College presidents--Illinois--Evanston 2
- Composers--United States 2
- Deans (Education) 2
- Electrical engineering--Study and teaching 2
- Ethnology--Study and teaching 2
- French language--Study and teaching--English speakers 2
- Geology--Study and teaching 2
- German literature--Study and teaching 2
- Great Britain--History--Study and teaching 2
- Linguistics--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- Medical rehabilitation--Study and teaching 2
- Methodist Church--Clergy 2
- Piano--Instruction and study 2
- Psychology--Study and teaching 2
- Speech disorders--Study and teaching 2
- Speech--Study and teaching 2
- Theater--Production and direction--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question 1
- Accounting--Study and teaching 1
- Advertising--Study and teaching 1
- Africa--Study and teaching 1
- African American authors--20th century 1
- African American college athletes 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African Americans 1
- African Americans--Social conditions--Study and teaching 1
- African languages--Study and teaching 1
- Air pilots, Military 1
- Anthropology 1
- Archery 1
- Architecture--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Architecture--United States 1
- Art, American--20th century 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Asia--Description and travel 1
- Astronomers 1
- Astrophysicists 1
- Audiologists 1
- Audiology 1
- Audiology--Study and teaching 1
- Authors, American--20th century 1
- Authors, German 1
- Baseball 1
- Basketball 1
- Benin 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Biochemists 1
- Biomedical engineering--Study and teaching 1
- Buildings--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Business education--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Cardiology--Study and teaching 1
- Chemical warfare--Research--United States 1
- Chemistry, Inorganic 1
- Chicago (Ill.)--Social conditions--20th century--Research 1
- Children's theater 1
- Chinese Americans 1
- Classical languages--Study and teaching 1
- Classical literature--Study and teaching 1
- Clinical sociology--Illinois--Chicago 1
- College athletes 1
- College chaplains--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less