Showing Collections: 41 - 60 of 80
Abstract This series consists of individual photographs of senior members of the class of 1981. The photographs appeared in the 1981 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 97). The photographs are wallet-size, black and white portraits. They are mounted in composite fashion on several oversized cardboard layout sheets. Each layout sheet is identified with a number corresponding to a page number (224-285) of the Syllabus
Abstract Before printed yearbooks with photographs of students became widespread, college students exchanged individual photographs taken at local photography studios and reproduced in quantity. The photographs—usually the 4-1/2″ × 6-1/4″ size called cabinet photographs—were mounted on card stock printed with the photographer's name and address. Students filled albums (with spaces designed to fit the standard cabinet size photos) with card photographs of their friends, including photos of faculty and...
Abstract The Susan Korman Kahan (1946- ) Papers span the years 1963-1970. The collection contains scrapbooks, correspondence, and memorabilia from her college years.
Dates: 1963 - 1970
Abstract The materials in the Paul Jacob Luker scrapbook date between 1909 and 1916 and document his social and academic life at Northwestern University and the University of Michigan. Included are many newspaper clippings, photographs, dance cards, printed materials, and other memorabilia.
Abstract The papers of Claudine Mason (Dean of Women at Northwestern University) are housed in one full-size box and one half-size box, and include biographical materials, files relating to Mason's formal education, and correspondence. The biographical materials include a few biographical sketches, clippings about Mason's speaking engagements and her appointment to and retirement from Northwestern University, and desk calendars recording her family, social, and organizational activities in Evanston in...
Abstract The Center for Nursing general administrative records fill eight and one-half bones and span the years 1975-1988. The series is divided into four categories; committee files; budget records; general files: and student files.These records document the everyday administration and workings of The Center for Nursing between 1975-1988.
Abstract This collection consists of black and white photographic negatives taken by Evanston native and Northwestern University alumnus L. David Minsk, approximately from 1939 to 1942. The photographs include images of University Theatre and Children's Theatre productions, ancillary shots such as a Children's theatre audience, an acting class performance, a studio make-up room, and protraits made of several Northwestern students.
Dates: approximately 1939-1942
Abstract The Josie B. Crandon Nash Papers consist of correspondence received by Nash (Northwestern University College of Liberal Arts, 1887), between 1888 and 1901, and illuminate the social life of a young college-educated, married woman at the turn of the century.
Dates: 1888 - 1901; Other: Majority of material found within 1891
Abstract The series is comprised of photographic prints and negatives relating to the activities, officers, staff, and command of Northwestern University's Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. Most of the photographs are snapshots of award and commissioning ceremonies, inspections, and training exercises although individual and group portraits of NROTC midshipmen are included as well. The bulk of the photographs are black and white. Prints are arranged in folders according to topical headings and date...
Abstract The materials in the Helen Paddock scrapbook date between 1910 and 1915 and document her social, academic, and family life at Northwestern University. Included are photographs, newspaper clippings, dance cards, and other memorabilia.
Dates: 1910-1915; Agreement Received: 2000-07-25
Abstract The Philosophy Department administrative records date from 1959-1984. Records included in the series are budget statements, course planning materials, Evening Division and Summer Session materials relating to the department, faculty and staff materials, grade reports, lists of students majoring in philosophy, departmental meeting minutes, departmental memoranda, general correspondence, and quarterly reports.
Abstract This series is comprised of Philosophy Department graduate admission records for the period 1982-1984. Individual files generally include one or more of the following: applications for admission and financial aid, letters of recommendation, grade transcripts, Graduate Record Examination reports, graduate admission office evaluation forms, and pertinent correspondence. Students' writing samples may be found occasionally in the files.
Abstract This series consists of the records of the Northwestern University Chapter (Gamma Rho) of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity. The records reflect the day-to-day activities of the fraternity, especially its financial transactions and social functions. Included among the records are correspondence, financial records, membership lists, minutes of meetings, publications of both the chapter and the national fraternity, and newspaper clippings. Also present are chapter histories for the years 1964-65,...
Abstract Melvin A. Pingree was a Northwestern University student in the 1860s. His photograph collection contains carte-de-visite photographs of Northwestern students and faculty, as well as Civil War soldiers and officers.
Abstract The series consists letters from former Northwestern students answering an ad placed by Professor Harold Williamson of the N.U. History Project in the 1975 Spring issue of the Northwestern Alumni News, describing memories of favorite professors. The response to “Professors I'll Never Forget” was overwhelming, with people writing letters not only about one favorite professor but two, three, and sometimes four or five. Since the response to Professor Williamson's published...
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1975
Abstract The Karl F. Putnam scrapbook contains newspaper clippings dating between 1899 and 1903, documenting social, academic, and family events, as well as news and information about Northwestern University. Clippings come from many papers, including the Evanston Index, The Inter Ocean, The American, Mt. Carmel Register, Evening Post, Chicago American, Evanston Press, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Examiner, and the ...
Abstract Eva Reynolds' scrapbook is creatively crafted. Rather than filling the blank pages of a commercially produced scrapbook, she used a book of printed photographs entitled An Art Souvenir: Northwestern University (published by A. L. Swift & Co., Chicago, 1897) as the base for her scrapbook. Photographs and other items representing her experiences and activities at Northwestern are pasted on to pictures printed in the book. Many pages and photographs are titled...
Abstract Mary Scriver attended Northwestern University from 1958-1961 and was a student of Alvina Krause, Associate Professor of Dramatic Production, 1957-1961. Her papers are directly related to her experience as a student of Krause, consisting of class notes and writings, and later, correspondence with classmates and friends associated with Krause. The Mary Scriver Papers fill five boxes and span the years from 1950-2012.
Abstract The Lewis Elmer Sims Papers contain information, primarily corresondence, regarding Sims' time at the Northwestern University Preparatory School and Northwestern University (1874-1877).
Dates: 1874-1977; Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1943
Abstract Chapin Hall was erected in 1901 on property owned by Northwestern University, with funds provided by Dr. O.K. Pearsons. Pearsons stipulated that the new dormitory at 726 University Place be put in the charge of the Women's Educational Association to house up to 60 financially disadvantaged women. This series consists chiefly of records of Chapin Hall's financial transactions from 1968 to 1975.
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 40
- Photographs 38
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 8
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Social life and customs 6
- Dentists--Training of 3
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Social life and customs 3
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 2
- Student movements 2
- Acting--Study and teaching 1
- African American college students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Civil rights demonstrations--Illinois--Evanston 1
- College students--Housing--Illinois--Evanston 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Attitudes 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Social conditions 1
- Dance cards 1
- Dance marathons--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Deans (Education) 1
- Evanston (Ill.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social life and customs 1
- Food trucks--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Graduate students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- History--Study and teaching 1
- Intelligence officers 1
- Nursing students 1
- Oral interpretation--Study and teaching 1
- Part-time employment--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Photography--Negatives 1
- Protest movements 1
- Student activities--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Student strikes 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Portraits 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Syllabus (Evanston, Ill.) 16
- Northwestern Alumni Association 8
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 8
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 6
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Yearbooks 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 5
- Students Publishing Company (Northwestern University) 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Dental School 3
- Mason, Claudine V., 1899-1993 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1981 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Philosophy 2
- Abt, Karl W. 1
- Bixby, James L., 1921-2002 1
- Bobb, Dwight S., 1876-1946 1
- Chapin Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Cooke, Edith Whitcomb, 1888-1975 1
- Dance Marathon (Northwestern University) 1
- Dickhaut, Florence Lillian Smith, 1887-1972 1
- Francis, Tod Huntington, 1959- 1
- Froehlig, William J., 1926-2018 1
- Garrison, Alice King, 1906-2002 1
- Glazebrook, Iva Grace, 1899-1988 1
- Godeman, Ardis Kuhnen, 1929-2017 1
- Hesler, Alexander, 1823-1895 1
- Hestoft, Ralf-Finn 1
- Horning, Sibyl, 1884-1977 1
- Howell, James Maurice, 1913-1994 1
- Kahan, Susan, 1946- 1
- Kay, Livonia Ruth, 1867-1949 1
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 1
- Luker, Paul Jacob, 1889-1970 1
- Minsk, L. David, 1924-2017 1
- Nash, Josie C., 1864-1949 1
- National High School Institute--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Admission 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Employees 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Registers 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Center for Nursing 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1976 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1978 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Interpretation 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of University Relations 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. Personnel Department 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Office of the Registrar 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience 1
- Northwestern University Preparatory School--Students 1
- Paddock, Helen Abigail, 1892-1965 1
- Pi Kappa Alpha. Gamma Rho Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Pingree, Melvin A., 1845-1865 or 1866 1
- Putnam, Karl F. (Karl Fredric), 1879-1960 1
- Reynolds, Eva Jane, 1885-1933 1
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon 1
- Sims, Lewis Elmer, 1855-1937 1
- Strachan Scriver, Mary, 1939- 1
- United States. Army--Officers--Portraits 1
- Whitney, Myrtle Viola 1
- Women's Educational Aid Association 1
- Zucker, Charles N. (Charles Noye), 1945- 1 ∧ less