Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract The Records of the Anthropology Department, filling five boxes, span the years 1964 to 1973. No records exist for the 1965-66 academic year. The bulk of the records fall between 1964 and 1969 and include, but are not limited to, annual reports, applications for graduate study or employment, budgets, correspondence, curriculum, department memos, faculty curriculum vitae, and materials relating to fellowships, the Program of African Studies, research proposals, and summer sessions.
Dates: 1964 - 1973; Other: Majority of material found within 1965 - 1969
Abstract Anthropologist Melville Jean Herskovits presided over the creation of the department of anthropology at Northwestern University in 1938. In 1961, Northwestern appointed Herskovits to the Chair of African Studies, the first such position in the United States. The Melville J. Herskovits Papers document Herskovits' career during a period of very rapid growth of both anthropology and African studies. The bulk of the collection consists of professional correspondence and manuscripts of publications,...
Abstract Dating from 1940-2000 and filling 45 boxes, the Francis L. K. Hsu Papers document Hsu's prominence as an anthropology professor and scholar specializing in kinship patterns and cultural comparisons between large, literate societies, namely, the United States, China, India, and Japan. The papers consist of biographical materials, correspondence, teaching files, student files, research files and notebooks, interview transcripts, lecture/conference notes and records, and publication files.
Abstract Oswald Werner joined the faculty of Northwestern in 1963 and remained until his retirement in 1998. His research focused on linguistics as well as cultural anthropology, particularly as they related to the Navajo. The Oswald Werner Papers fill forty-one boxes and span the years 1959 to 2007. They are arranged into six major categories: biographical materials, correspondence, Northwestern University general files, Northwestern University teaching materials, grants files, and publications.
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 3
- Africa--Study and teaching 1
- Anthropologists 1
- Anthropology 1
- Benin 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Program of African Studies 2
- Boas, Franz, 1858-1942 1
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 1
- Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (Edward Evan), 1902-1973 1
- Herskovits, Melville J. (Melville Jean), 1895-1963 1
- Hsu, Francis L. K., 1909-1999 1
- Mead, Margaret, 1901-1978 1
- Myrdal, Gunnar, 1898-1987 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Ethnographic Field School 1
- United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Foreign Relations 1
- Werner, Oswald 1 ∧ less