Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
This collection comprises 146 boxes, containing records of the Northwestern band program from 1917 to 2007. The band program began in 1926 with the first Northwestern Director of Bands, Glenn Cliffe Bainum. After Bainum’s tenure as Director of Bands, the next person to take that position was John Philip Paynter. Mallory Thompson took over the band program as Northwestern’s third Director of Bands and holds that position as of 2022.
1917 - 2007
Music professor and bandleader John Phillip Paynter began his musical studies at Northwestern, graduating with a Bachelor of Music degree in 1950 and a Master's in Theory and Composition in 1951. Upon graduation, Paynter joined NU's faculty as the Director of the Marching Band. During his career at Northwestern, Paynter taught classes in band music, conducting, and arranging. The John P. Paynter Collection consists of six series titled Biographical Materials, Office, Northwestern University...
1923 - 2013