Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
Abstract This collection holds an assortment of items pertaining to the 1949 Rose Bowl football game, which Northwestern University's Wildcats won over the University of California's Golden Bears. Items include media clippings, expense reports, souvenir programs, train menus, and other materials documenting the game, the participation of the NU Marching Band, the trip to and from Los Angeles, and related celebratory events.
Dates: 1948 - 2009; Other: Majority of material found within 1948 - 1949
Abstract This series is composed of 9"x11” cards which record students' academic history during their stay at Northwestern. Each card records an individual student's name, degree (if attained), year of graduation, home address, parents' name, religous affiliation, birth date, school previously attended, and date of admission to Northwestern.
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1910 - 1927
Abstract On May 3, 1968 more than 100 undergraduate and graduate students occupied the Bursar's Office, in the first major sit-in experienced at Northwestern University. After the students' April 22nd list of demands were not met, they declared their intention to keep the office occupied until these demands were met. This peaceful 38-hour occupation ended with University leaders negotiating with students, and committing to enhance services and support for Black students related to admissions,...
Dates: 1968 - 2008; Other: Majority of material found within 1968
Abstract This series incorporates 27 albums of class photographic portraits dating between the years 1874 and 1888. Albums feature portraits of members of a given year's Northwestern University senior class, typically from the College of Liberal Arts, although all members of a class are not necessarily represented in any single volume. Also commonly found in the albums are portraits of Northwestern faculty and administrators, landscapes of Northwestern's Evanston Campus, and photographs of building...
Abstract The series consists of four binders of black and white photographs documenting the construction process and the newly finished structure of the Charles Deering Library at Northwestern University. With two or three exceptions, all photographs were taken by the Chicago Architectural Photographing Company. The photographs document each state in the building's construction, from bare ground to completed but windowless exterior; and show the completed building (both general views, and details).
Abstract This series is comprised of thirty-one mounted photographs of various views of Fisk Hall and other subjects associated with the Medill School of Journalism. The photographs formed an exhibit on the history of Fisk Hall and the Medill School of Journalism that was presented by members of the University Archives staff in Fisk hall in 1989. The photographs, filling one standard-size archival box are arranged by format: there are eight 3″x5″ photographs, thirteen 5″x8″ photographs, and thirteen...
Abstract This series consists of 32 record cartons (plus additions) of letters of reference for former Northwestern University students. Most of the letters are related to student teaching experience, although some are related to work in speech therapy clinics. A small number of letters pertain to Ph.D. graduates seeking teaching jobs. The date span of the series is approximately 1946-1993.
Abstract The series consists letters from former Northwestern students answering an ad placed by Professor Harold Williamson of the N.U. History Project in the 1975 Spring issue of the Northwestern Alumni News, describing memories of favorite professors. The response to “Professors I'll Never Forget” was overwhelming, with people writing letters not only about one favorite professor but two, three, and sometimes four or five. Since the response to Professor Williamson's published...
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1975
Abstract This compilation documents student movements at Northwestern University between 1978 and 1986 which, in protest of apartheid in South Africa, called for Northwestern to divest from companies with economic ties to South Africa. The compliation consists of clippings, reports, flyers, and other documents from a variety of sources.
Dates: 1978 - 1986; Other: Majority of material found within 1978-1979, 1985-1986
Abstract The Student Protests and Strikes Collection consists of diverse materials that document political demonstrations and protests organized by students, spanning from August 1965 through October 1979. Each event included in this collection documents a segment of the history of Northwestern students' political activism.
Abstract Acquired over decades from a variety of sources, principally Northwestern University’s public relations units and as separations from the manuscript collections of Northwestern faculty and administrators, the photographic negatives in nitrate format date to the period of that format’s popularity, circa 1890 to circa 1950.
Dates: 1890 - 1950
Abstract This series includes 30 rolls of negatives from photographs taken of the University Library. Most rolls total 36 exposures. The negatives, black and white and on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, are in 35mm format. The photographs, apparently taken during the early 1970s, are mainly of the interior of the University Library although some shots of Deering Library also are included.
Dates: ca. 1970
Abstract The Records of World Wars I and II related to Northwestern University fill two archival boxes and span the years 1914 to 2005. The records are divided into WWI and WWII with the majority of the records relating to WWII. Records document both activities during the Wars and commemorative activities postwar and include information about both general programs and specific individuals.
- Student movements 3
- Academic libraries--Illinois--Evanston--Photographs 1
- African American college students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Anti-apartheid movements 1
- Civil rights demonstrations--Illinois--Evanston 1
- College placement services--Illinois--Evanston 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Photographs 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Rating of 1
- College students--Vocational guidance--United States 1
- Disinvestment--South Africa 1
- Educational evaluation--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Evanston (Ill.) 1
- Fisk Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Investments, American--South Africa 1
- Library buildings--Illinois--Evanston--Photographs 1
- Protest movements 1
- Student strikes 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- University investments 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings--Photographs 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library--Photographs 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 2
- Medill School of Journalism--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Football 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Placement Center 1
- Northwestern Wildcats (Football team) 1
- Rose Bowl (Football game) (1949 : Pasadena, Calif.) 1
- University of California, Berkeley--Football 1 ∧ less