Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 40
Abstract Maher Ahmad (B.A. 71, M.F.A. 74) is a highly successful production designer who has worked in theater, television, and film from Chicago to New York City to Hollywood. The Maher Ahmad Papers consist of material relating to his early life and general education, but primarily focuses on his work as a designer for the theater. The bulk of the collection is production design materials including set, lighting, and costume designs. Ahmad's teaching notes for the numerous theatre-related classes he...
Dates: 1962-1992; Other: Date acquired: 01/10/2010
Abstract The Anti-Vietnam War Strike Materials Collection comprises a diverse assortment of documents and other materials relating to the University-wide strike that took place over a seven day period in May of 1970. The collection of newspaper clippings, press releases, flyers, and memos records the events of the strike and its aftermath through the summer and fall of 1970.
Dates: May 6 - 12, 1970
Abstract The records of A&O Productions fill 39 boxes and 1 oversized folder, spanning the years 1970-2012. The bulk of the records consist of production records for the events organized during those years. A&O (Activities and Organizations) Productions is Northwestern University’s major student-run programming board. On the A&O website (March 14, 2003), the group defines itself as “a non-profit undergraduate student group at Northwestern University. …[The] mission is to enrich the lives of...
Dates: 1968 - 2012
Abstract Materials in this expanding collection pertain to the experience of African American students and faculty at Northwestern University. The documents included in this collection are university reports about African American students, articles on race and higher education, reproductions of student newspapers discussing race relations on-campus and materials concerning the 1968 Bursar’s Office Takeover. This collection also includes biographical subject files.
Dates: 1870 - 2017
Abstract The scrapbook, compiled by NU alumnus Oscar Brodfuehrer (1912) vividly documents student life at Northwestern University, circa 1912-17, and also includes family and travel photographs.
Dates: 1912-1917; Other: Date acquired: 11/05/2012
Abstract The records of the Children's Theatre of Evanston (Illinois) date from 1925 to 1986, with the bulk of the records falling between 1957 and 1986. The records are concerned with administration, education, fundraising, and production. They document the Theatre's changing relationships with Northwestern University and School District 65; the practice of Winifred Ward's drama education theory at public schools in Evanston; and Theatre performances between 1925 and 1986.
Abstract The records detail many of the issues and events associated with Gregory Coffin’s superintendency of Evanston’s Community Consolidated School District 65 and the contentious 1970 School Board election that determined his tenure.
Abstract The series consists of four binders of black and white photographs documenting the construction process and the newly finished structure of the Charles Deering Library at Northwestern University. With two or three exceptions, all photographs were taken by the Chicago Architectural Photographing Company. The photographs document each state in the building's construction, from bare ground to completed but windowless exterior; and show the completed building (both general views, and details).
Abstract This series is comprised of thirty-one mounted photographs of various views of Fisk Hall and other subjects associated with the Medill School of Journalism. The photographs formed an exhibit on the history of Fisk Hall and the Medill School of Journalism that was presented by members of the University Archives staff in Fisk hall in 1989. The photographs, filling one standard-size archival box are arranged by format: there are eight 3″x5″ photographs, thirteen 5″x8″ photographs, and thirteen...
Abstract The Frank Galati Papers fill 38 boxes and span the years 1948-2006; the bulk of the papers date between 1965 and 2005. The papers consist mostly of scripts and other notes from the plays he wrote, directed or in which he acted. Biographical files include personal information about Galati and his family. They also include resumes (Box 1, Folder 1), drafts of speeches he made (Box 1, Folder 6) and materials from awards he received and workshops he attended (Box 1, Folder 7).
Dates: 1948 - 2014; Other: Majority of material found within 1965 - 2005
Abstract On April 8, 1939 it was recommended that a standing committee be created to represent the several faculties and Senate before the Board. Further, it recommended that the committee be democratically elected from the four upper academic ranks of the faculty, that its first task would be to consider the revised statutes and that it should be called the General Faculty Committee. The General Faculty Committee was then authorized by the Senate "to consider any matters of general university policy on...
Abstract The photographs in this collection, 5x7" glass plate negatives, date from the early years of the twentieth century. Most are of the Northwestern University campus and its surrounding area including some photographs of individuals either affiliated with Northwestern or living in Evanston, Illinois.
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract The materials in the Iva Grace Howard Glazebrook scrapbook date between 1917 and 1920 and document her social life at Northwestern University. Images in the scrapbook include postcards, candid photographs, and figures cut out from photographic prints. They focus mostly on Howard's social environment as well as the scenery on campus.
Abstract Over 150 photographic prints (mostly 4x6 cabinet size, mounted on cardstock) taken by noted Evanston, Illinois, photographer Alexander Hesler, dating circa 1870-1887 and depicting Northwestern University faculty, students, and buildings. The collection includes 2 copies of the published volume Photographic Views of Picturesque Evanston (1887).
Abstract Methodist minister Clark Titus Hinman was elected the first President of Northwestern University in 1853, but died before the University opened in 1855. This artificial collection consists of biographical material and correspondence postdating his life; there is also one original sermon.
Abstract Laughtrack Comedy Group was an Evanston-based troupe, comprised of Northwestern alumni, that performed from 1979 to 1981. Their records include resumes, photographs, scripts, correspondence, newspaper clippings, press releases, contracts, and financial records.
Dates: 1979-1981; Other: Date acquired: 04/10/2014
Abstract American journalist Eric R. Lund was born to Swedish immigrants on November 1, 1925 in Chicago, Illinois. Lund attended Northwestern University 1942-1949 (B.S. in journalism). Lund worked primarily at the Evanston review and Chicago daily news. After the latter paper ceased publication, Lund undertook a number of research and editing projects. The Eric R. Lund papers cover Lund’s ancestry and life, including both his professional...
Dates: 1900 - 2006
Map of Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, compiled and drawn from latest records and actual surveys and published by Theodore Reese, civil engineer and surveyor, Evanston ; G.W. Terry, map colorer & mounter.
Collection — Oversize: 1
Abstract Wall map of Evanston, compiled, drawn, and published by Theodore Reese, circa 1876. 132 cm x 113 cm (44" x 50")
Dates: 1868-1872; Other: Date acquired: 11/30/2006
Abstract The Joe Miller Papers are contained in five boxes and span the years 1924-1979. The collection contains biographical information, materials relating to his early life in Ottumwa, Iowa, and two important events in his Northwestern career: the 25th Waa-Mu show in 1956, and Miller's retirement in 1975. Two scrapbooks complete the collection.
Abstract After completing graduate studies at Northwestern University, Lorraine Hairston Morton was a teacher and principal in Evanston’s District #65. She served as the mayor of Evanston, Illinois from 1993 to 2009. Her Papers include six boxes of documents including speeches, correspondence, event programs, photographs, newspaper clippings, periodicals, and campaign information detailing her leadership. 15 boxes contain awards given to Morton for her service.
- Evanston (Ill.) 29
- College theater 8
- Photographs 6
- Business students 5
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 2
- Evanston (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc. 2
- Evanston (Ill.)--Race relations 2
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social life and customs 2
- Theater--Production and direction 2
- Theater--Study and teaching 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements 2
- Academic libraries 1
- Acting--Study and teaching 1
- Actors 1
- Actresses 1
- African American college students 1
- African American college teachers 1
- African American mayors 1
- African American politicians 1
- Balls (Parties) 1
- Children's theater 1
- Clergy 1
- College buildings--Illinois--Evanston--Design and construction 1
- College buildings--Illinois--Evanston--Design and construction--Finance 1
- College students--Attitudes 1
- College students--Political activity 1
- Comedians 1
- Concerts 1
- Congregational churches--Clergy 1
- Englewood (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Officials and employees 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Politics and government--20th century 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social conditions--20th century 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social conditions--21st century 1
- Fisk Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Hospitals--Administration--Study and teaching 1
- Improvisation (Acting) 1
- Journalism 1
- Lecturers 1
- Letters to the editor 1
- Library buildings 1
- Mayors 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Mexico 1
- Motion picture art directors 1
- Music--Instruction and study 1
- Northwestern Anti-Vietnam War Strike, Evanston, Ill., 1970 1
- Politicians 1
- Race relations 1
- San Francisco (Calif.)--Description and travel 1
- School integration--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Student strikes 1
- Summer schools 1
- Swedish Americans 1
- Theater 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 7
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty--Societies, etc. 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 3
- J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management--Students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Program in Hospital Administration 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Program in Hospital Administration--Students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Prospectus (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Ahmad, Maher 1
- Alpha Delta Mu. Alpha Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Brodfuehrer family 1
- Brodfuehrer, Oscar M., 1889-1962 1
- Chicago daily news 1
- Children's Theatre of Evanston 1
- Citizens for 65 1
- Evanston College for Ladies 1
- Evanston School District 65 1
- Evanston School District 65--Elections 1
- Evanston review 1
- First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Chicago 1
- Galati, Frank 1
- Glazebrook, Iva Grace, 1899-1988 1
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Hesler, Alexander, 1823-1895 1
- Hinman, Clark T. (Clark Titus), 1819-1854 1
- Hospital Club of Northwestern University 1
- Laughtrack (Comedy group) 1
- Lund, Eric R. (Eric Rudolph) 1
- Lund, Florence, -1989 1
- Lundin, Frederick, 1868-1947 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Merchant's Lithographing Company 1
- Miller, Joseph Willard, 1906-1979 1
- Morton, Lorraine H., 1918-2018 1
- National High School Music Institute 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae--Societies, etc. 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Student strike, 1970 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). A & O Productions 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). General Faculty Committee 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Theatre and Interpretation Center 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Architect 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Waa-Mu Show 1
- Papangelis, Betty Ann, 1925-2019 1
- Practical Theatre Company 1
- Reese, Theodore 1
- Roberts, James S. 1
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company 1
- Stilwell, Catherine A., 1915-2009 1
- Stilwell, Kenneth R., 1912-2003 1
- Terry, G. W. 1
- Theatre 65 1
- University Club of Evanston (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- University Union (Northwestern University) 1
- University of Chicago--Students 1
- Ward, Donald B., 1919-1994 1
- Ward, Vera Bantz, 1922-2014 1
- Women's Educational Aid Association 1 ∧ less