Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 32
Abstract The Department of Art History records chiefly contain letters, inter-office memos, vitae and bibliographic material relating to faculty, a few students, and visiting artists and lecturers. There is considerable biographical material on several specialists in African art, Rene Bravmann, Zdenka Volavka and Phillip Dark, as well as files concerned with art of the American Indian, Joel Bernstein's lecture in 1972 (Box 1 Folder 4) and records on an Indian Art Exhibition in 1974 (the T.W. Van Zelst...
Abstract After a time in the U.S. Naval Reserve which interrupted his studies, Howard Franklin Bennett returned to Harvard in the spring of 1946. The following autumn he accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Business History at Northwestern University. Bennett re-enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1951 and served on active duty until 1953 , then in reserve as Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Intelligence Unit at Glenview, Illinois. Bennett attained the rank of Captain in 1960 and retired from...
Abstract Gray C. Boyce taught medieval history at Northwestern University from 1946 until his retirement in the spring of 1967. He served as Department Chair, 1948-1966. The Gray Boyce Papers are held in three and a half archival boxes and divided into three subseries: Biographical, Scholarly and Correspondence. The bulk of the materials are in the Correspondence series.
Abstract Richard Munthe Brace accepted an invitation to join the Northwestern University faculty as an associate professor of history in 1947. He stayed at Northwestern until 1965 when he moved to Oakland University (in Michigan). His research and teaching interests centered on French and modern European history. The Richard Brace Papers are arranged in eight subseries: biographical materials, education tiles, correspondence, teaching files, research and consulting files, professional organizations...
Abstract The James Breckenridge Papers, spanning the period 1924-1983, contain: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, research and consulting files, professional organizations files, speeches and papers, and publications.
Abstract The Leland H. Carlson Papers fill two boxes and are arranged in five subseries: Correspondence; Education Files; Publications; Notes, Lectures and Syllabi; and Student Papers. The correspondence includes letters of recommendation and responses concerning a graduate assistant, John Wilkes, correspondence and papers from an English history conference held at the Newberry Library that was chaired by Carlson in 1953, and correspondence from Gary C. Boyce, Chair of the History Department of...
College of Arts and Sciences History Department Course Materials: Syllabi, Assignments, and Examinations
Abstract This series contains History Department course materials including syllabi, assignments, examinations, and a small amount of lecture notes. The bulk of the materials are from the early 1970's.
Abstract Isaac Joslin Cox taught History at Northwestern University from 1919 until his retirement in 1941. His papers are arranged into: biographical material; Aaron Burr Material; James P. Wilkinson Material; Harry Innes Material; West Florida Material; William Shaler Material; John Breckenridge Material; miscellaneous Isaac Joslin Cox material. Most of the materials are copies of documents from other repositories that Cox used in his research. Two additions to the collection chiefly contain material...
Abstract This series is comprised of six boxes, of which five contain copies of papers written for Departmental Honors, History C98, between 1975 and 1986.
Abstract Historian and educator Paul Erwin began graduate studies in history at Northwestern University in 1946, taking religion courses at the Garrett Theological Seminary as well. The Paul Erwin Papers are housed in three boxes and date from 1946 to 1987, although the bulk are from 1946 until 1956. The papers are comprised mainly of course materials from graduate courses taken by Erwin at Northwestern and at Garrett.
Abstract Clyde LeClare Grose, a specialist in early modern British history, came to Northwestern University as an Instructor in History in 1916, soon after becoming Chairman of the History Department. He remained at Northwestern until his death in 1942. Grose was born on April 8, 1889, in Deweyville, Ohio, and spent his childhood on the family farm. He and his parents then moved to Findlay, Ohio where he attended high school; he received his bachelor's degree from Findlay College in 1910. He went...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract The Jessica Herzogenrath Papers, 1998-2002, includes history and dance theory class notes and class material, as well as choreography notes. Jessica Ray Herzogenrath earned her BA in History at Northwestern University in 2002, after which she moved to Texas to perform, choreograph, and teach dance.
Dates: 1998 - 2002
Abstract The Papers of Thomas William Heyck (also known as "T.W." and "Bill") document his career as educator and administrator at Northwestern University from 1968 to 2007. A scholar of British and Irish history, he was also involved in significant campus committee work, including establishing the Residential College system and chairing the Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience.
Dates: 1966-2007; Other: Date acquired: 04/02/2008
Abstract This series spans the years from 1892 through 2006, although the majority of the records dates between 1970 and 2006. The series is divided into three sub-series: general files, minutes of departmental meetings, and subject files. The general files concern a wide variety of topics including department curriculum, committees, and policy; sponsored lectures and conferences; and routine administrative matters. The subject files form the last part of the series and fill two boxes. This meterial...
Dates: 1892 - 2006; Other: Majority of material found within 1970 - 2006
Abstract These records fill seven boxes and document the service to the History Department of its non-current faculty. The records include correspondence pertaining to appointments, salary adjustments, teaching assignments, leaves of absence, terminations of service, and retirements. Frequently included in the files are copies of vitae and teaching evaluations while less often found are letters of recommendation, placement service files, and other materials.
Dates: ca. 1966-1986
Abstract These records relate to individual candidates for graduate study (both M.A. and Ph.D. programs) in the Northwestern University History Department and span theyears 1977-87.
Abstract This series fills five and one half boxes and documents History Department master of arts degree recipients from the period ca. 1948-1977. The files relate to individual degree recipients and typically include some or all of the following: correspondence, grade reports, transcripts pertaining to graduate and undergraduate study, evaluations of graduate coursework, applications for admission to degree candidacy, financial aid forms, proposals concerning research projects, examinations and,...
Dates: ca. 1948-1977
Abstract This series contains undergraduate and graduate student papers and examination books from various courses offered by the Northwestern University's History Department in 1968, 1969, 1971, 1973 and 1977. The bulk of the undergraduate materials, including examination books and papers written in lieu of final examinations, are from the survey courses "European Civilization" (B01) and "History of the United States" (B10). Additional papers, examinations, and course assignments come from from "The...
Abstract Jonathan R. T. Huges was an American economist. His accomplishments include working at the Federal Reserve Bank, teaching appointments at Purdue University, Columbia University, and Nuffield College, Oxford. He was a Rhoades Scholar, delivered numerous public speeches and published many articles. In September, 1966 he joined Northwestern’s faculty. He would later be appointed to Chair of the Economics Department at Northwestern from 1972 – 1974.Hughes was a founder of the field of...
- History--Study and teaching 17
- Art--History--Study and teaching 3
- Europe--History--Study and teaching 3
- United States--History--Study and teaching 3
- Business--History--Study and teaching 2
- Economic history--Study and teaching 2
- Economics--Study and teaching 2
- Great Britain--History--Study and teaching 2
- Africa--Civilization--Study and teaching 1
- Africa--History--Study and teaching 1
- Choreography 1
- College presidents 1
- Dance--Study and teaching 1
- Education--Study and teaching 1
- English literature--Study and teaching 1
- Latin America--History--Study and teaching 1
- Middle Ages--Study and teaching 1
- Natural history--Study and teaching 1
- Railroads--Economic aspects--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Residential colleges--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Scandinavia 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 19
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 17
- Boyce, Gray Cowan, 1899-1981 2
- Brace, Richard M. (Richard Munthe), 1915-1977 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce 2
- Bennett, Howard F. (Howard Franklin), 1911-1974 1
- Breckenridge, James D. (James Douglas), 1926-1982 1
- Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836 1
- Carlson, Leland H. (Leland Henry), 1908-1995 1
- Cox, Isaac Joslin, 1873-1956 1
- Erwin, Paul F., 1919-2010 1
- Grose, Clyde LeClare, 1899-1942 1
- Grose, Clyde LeClare, 1899-1942. Select bibliography of British history, 1660-1760 1
- Herzogenrath, Jessica Ray 1
- Heyck, Thomas William, 1938-2014 1
- Hughes, Jonathan R. T. 1
- James, James Alton, 1864-1962 1
- Japan International Christian University 1
- Joravsky, David 1
- Leopold, Richard William 1
- Marcy family 1
- Marcy, Elizabeth Eunice Smith, 1821-1911 1
- Marcy, Oliver, 1820-1899 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Methodist Church (U.S.) 1
- North Park College and Theological Seminary--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Admission 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Examinations 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). African Curriculum Project 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Economics 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Graduate School 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Museum of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Office of the President 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 1
- Overton, Richard C. (Richard Cleghorn), 1907-1988 1
- Panofsky, Erwin, 1892-1968 1
- Romani, George T. (George Thomas), 1917-1977 1
- Scott, Franklin D. (Franklin Daniel), 1901-1994 1
- Smith, Lacey Baldwin, 1922-2013 1
- United States. Naval Reserve--Officers 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wiebe, Robert H. 1
- Wilkinson, James, 1757-1825 1
- Williamson, Harold F. (Harold Francis), 1901-1989 1
- Winchell, Alexander, 1824-1891 1
- World Council of Churches 1
- Zucker, Charles N. (Charles Noye), 1945- 1 ∧ less