Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract During World War II, Northwestern University devoted resources to aid in winning the war, including a series of programs for the War Department. One of these programs was the U.S. Naval Reserve Midshipmen's School (designated "V-7"; students were known as "90-day wonders"). The bulk of this series consists of the records of the V-7 program, including graduation lists, class lists, graduation programs for classes, and clippings. The series includes a small amount material related to the V-1 and...
Abstract The Naval V-12 Program was established by the War Department on university campuses during World War II to provide the Navy with a continuous supply of officers. Northwestern University's V-12 unit was formed in July, 1943. The records of the V-12 program consist of Regulation and Organization manuals, lists of faculty and their teaching loads, administrative correspondence, clippings, and various class lists and course descriptions.
Abstract The Northwestern University Midshipmen’s School Association, headed by Bob Wilch and his wife, Sandra, maintained records, produced newsletters, and arranged reunions for veterans of the Midshipmen's Training School which ran at Northwestern during World War II. Records of the Midshipmen's School Association date from 1940-2009, and include clippings, rosters, directories, and reunion information; books and memoirs; and artifacts. This collections adds to the resources in the Archives relating...
Dates: 1940-2009; Other: Date acquired: 12/06/2011
Abstract Wallace Nyweide was a student at Northwestern from 1926 to 1930 who graduated from the School of Commerce in 1930. While at Northwestern, he was in the "Navy Club," now known as the NROTC-- one of the first NROTCs in the country. This collection consists of a single ledger of notes and calculations from two summer cruises he took on the USS Wyoming with the US Navy during the summers of 1928 and 1929.
Dates: 1928-1929; Other: Date acquired: 02/02/2012
- Military education--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Naval education--Illinois--Evanston 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.--World War, 1939-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American 1
- United States. Naval Reserve Midshipmen's School, Northwestern University 2
- Navy V-12 Program (U.S.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce--Students 1
- Northwestern University Midshipmen's School Association 1