Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 41
Abstract The Omicron (Northwestern University) chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi opened on April 2, 1921, the first Midwest outpost of the sorority. This collection consists of three and one-half boxes and five oversized scrapbooks containing mainly photographs, but also including clippings, ephemera, and some correspondence pertaining to the Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority. These materials span the years from 1929 to 1968 but are scattered and mainly represent the chapter's membership, house activities, and...
Abstract Elisabeth and her sister, Litta (Zolitta), of Green Bay, Wisconsin, attended Northwestern University for one year. The diary is a 7-1/4″ x 4-1/2″ notebook containing one hundred lined pages. The diary starts with Elisabeth and Litta's departure for Chicago on September 17, 1903 and ends on April 26, 1904; the last entry is followed by the notation “Continued in Volume II.”
Abstract Sara Frances Bragdon graduated from Northwestern University, Phi Beta Kappa, with a bachelor of arts degree in 1908. Bragdon's chief academic interests centered on classical, French, and English Literature. Her papers are contained in one half-size box and date between 1898 and 1964. Included are biographical materials relating largely to Bragdon's study at Northwestern University and an elocution journal, 1898-1912, consisting of both handwritten and typescript copies of poetry and prose works...
Abstract The collection consists materials reflecting Virginia Buettner’s social activities while a student at Northwestern University (1937-1942): pages from a scrapbook, and loose artifacts.
Dates: 1935 - 1939
Abstract The Edith W. Cooke scrapbook spans the years 1907 through 1913 with the bulk of the materials dating from 1910 through 1911. It offers a glimpse into the social life of a young woman on campus during those years, and especially highlights the activities of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. The materials include invitations, dance cards, party favors and name tags from many social events on campus, including those held by the sorority. The scrapbook also contains several pages of calling...
Abstract Marjorie May Cowan obtained a B.S. degree in Liberal Arts from Northwestern University in 1933. A member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, she was active in campus activities and social affairs. Her papers are contained in one half-size box and date from 1929-1934, 1949, and 1984. The bulk of the papers consists of Cowan's diaries. During the years 1932 through 1934 she kept detailed accounts of her social and academic activities and interests.
Abstract Schoolteacher Blanche Grigson Croxton attended Northwestern University from 1902 through 1906. The Blanche Grigson Croxton Papers comprise one half-size box containing one scrapbook. The scrapbook consists of thirty - six “boards,” mounted on both sides of which is Mrs. Croxton's history of her class, the class of 1906.
Abstract Mrs. Claudine V. Mason was appointed Counselor of Women at Northwestern University in 1948. In 1952 the titles of counselor to women and counselor to men were changed to dean, as they have remained since. The records of the Dean of Women, Claudine V. Mason, consist of desk calendars, correspondence, housing, organizations, orientation, public relations, scholastic matters, and speech manuscripts. These materials are accompaniefd by a folder of materials related to the history of the position,...
Abstract The Florence Dickhaut papers are arranged in one half-size box; they the years between 1905 to 1951, but date primarily from 1905 through 1912. Included are a small amount of general biographical materials; a folder of some of Dickhaut's prose and poetry; two scrapbooks documenting her activities and interests while at Northwestern; and four folders of memorabilia such as invitations; tickets; programs from dances, theatrical events, and debates; and other related materials.
Abstract The Genieve L. Doering Student Handbook provides a unique and very personal view of student life at Northwestern in the early 20th century. Each year, Northwestern University students received a Student Handbook—a small (3 x 5) cloth-bound book, published by the campus University Christian Associations. The Handbooks comprised an introductory message from President Walter Dill Scott, information regarding Northwestern's campus, history, and organizations, as well as a substantial quantity of...
Abstract Edith Capper Eustice (1877-1953) was a member of the Northwestern class of 1903, attending under the name Edith Capper. The collection consists of a facsimile copy of Eustice’s scrapbook, dating from the period circa 1903-1910.
Dates: circa 1903-1910
Abstract The scrapbooks of Leila Foster (Bachelor of Business, 1950; J.D., 1953; Master of Divinity, 1964; Ph.D., 1966; all from Northwestern University) illuminate the life of an undergraduate university student in the years following World War II. Ephemera and form letters are interspersed with personal correspondence and other personal documents.The series consists of three scrapbooks, from Foster's first three academic years at Northwestern: 1946/1947, 1947/1948 and 1948/1949.
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract The materials in the Alice King Garrison scrapbook date between 1924 and 1929 and document her social and academic life at Northwestern University. Included are many newspaper clippings, photographs, dance cards, printed materials, and other memorabilia.
Abstract Lawyer, law professor and poet Barry Gilbert obtained an A.B. degree (1898) and an LL.B. (1901) from Northwestern University. Reader and actress Mary Ramage Peterson graduated from the Cumnock School of Oratory at Northwestern University in 1897, and received a post-graduate degree in 1898 (Speech). They were married in 1901. Their papers are contained in one half-size archival box containing four folders. They consist of three bound volumes (two typewritten and one handwritten), containing...
Abstract The Daisy M. Girton Papers include one folder of biographical materials and Girton's diaries for the years 1901 through 1905. The diaries, constituting the bulk of the series, were written for the most part during Daisy's tenure at Northwestern.
Abstract Ardis Nadine Kuhnen graduated from Northwestern University with a Bachelor of Science degree (majoring in art) in 1951. Her papers contain art coursework, and information about student life in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The papers include some material related to her father, Arthur Nicholas Kuhnen.
Dates: 1947-1951, n.d.
Abstract The Lillian E. Hawley Scrapbook consists of several loose pages (perhaps removed from a larger scrapbook) that document her years at Northwestern. The pages include ribbons, seals, and invitations, all of which attest to her involvement in various campus organizations and her attendance at events such as performances and dinners. Hawley also saved the receipts for her tuition payments to Northwestern; her room and board payments for Pearsons Hall; and her class dues and her dues to the Laurean...
Item — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The scrapbook of Florence Emerson Herbert Heffley affords a colorful view of student life, particularly the social and cultural activities of a very engaged student at Northwestern University during the period 1909-1911. Two additional pieces of correspondence found within the scrapbook date from 1924 and 1949. Included in the scrapbook are an array of sorority rush memorabilia; dance cards; banquet menus; ephemera; photographs; newspaper clippings and other records pertaining to...
Dates: 1909-1911, 1924, 1949
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract The Elizabeth Hobart scrapbook dates from the period 1909-1916 and features a variety of materials relating principally to Hobart's social life and academic studies while a student at Northwestern.
Abstract Mortar Board was founded at Syracuse, New York, in 1918 as a national college honorary society for senior women. In 1921, members of Cap and Tassel, a senior women's honorary at Northwestern University, petitioned Mortar Board for a local chapter, which was granted. The records of the Northwestern chapter of Mortar Board fills two and one-half boxes and dates between 1922 and 1965. It consists of membership records maintained on index cards. Cards feature the names (sometimes both maiden and...
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 27
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 12
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Social life and customs 6
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 5
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Diaries 4
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Social life and customs 2
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 2
- Greek letter societies 2
- Acting--Study and teaching 1
- African American civil rights workers 1
- African American college students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- African American college students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African American student movements 1
- African American women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 1
- Chicago (Ill.) 1
- Civil rights workers 1
- College student government--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Deans (Education) 1
- Evanston (Ill.) 1
- Lawyers 1
- Student aid 1
- Student movements 1
- Theater--Study and teaching 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Registers 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston--Religious life 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 16
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 9
- Woman's College of Northwestern University 2
- Alpha Epsilon Phi. Omicron Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Boyd, Elisabeth Blossom 1
- Bragdon, Sara Frances, 1886-1957 1
- Buettner, Virginia, 1917-2004 1
- Cooke, Edith Whitcomb, 1888-1975 1
- Croxton, Blanche Grigson, 1883-1969 1
- Dickhaut, Florence Lillian Smith, 1887-1972 1
- Doering, Genieve Linda, 1904-1979 1
- Eustice, Edith Capper, 1877-1953 1
- Evanston College for Ladies 1
- Foster, Leila Merrell 1
- Garrison, Alice King, 1906-2002 1
- Geisler, Marjorie Cowan, 1911-2012 1
- Gilbert, Barry, 1876-1961 1
- Gilbert, Mary Ramage Peterson, 1876-1954 1
- Girton, Daisy Myrtle, 1880-1963 1
- Godeman, Ardis Kuhnen, 1929-2017 1
- Grannis, Macha Vance, 1882-1970 1
- Grubb, Ethel Robinson, 1890-1975 1
- Hawley, Lillian Emeline, 1887-1970 1
- Heffley, Florence Emerson, 1889-1977 1
- Hobart, Elizabeth, 1891-1980 1
- Hurrey, Charles DuBois, 1878-1958 1
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 1
- Mason, Claudine V., 1899-1993 1
- Mortar Board (Society). Northwestern University Chapter 1
- Nash, Josie C., 1864-1949 1
- North-Western Female College 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Registers 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Panhellenic Association 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Women's Center 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Women's Self-Government Association 1
- Northwestern University Black-Wimmin in Action 1
- Paddock, Helen Abigail, 1892-1965 1
- Paterson, Eva 1
- Price, Nancy Ellen Rennick 1
- Rachwalski, Michael M. (Michael Matthew), 1901-1987 1
- Rostker, Patricia Murphey, 1921-2011 1
- Sternfeld, Edith A. (Edith Alice), 1898-1990 1
- Stilwell, Catherine, 1915-2009 1
- Stilwell, Kenneth, 1912-2003 1
- Strachan Scriver, Mary, 1939- 1
- Teeple, A. V. 1
- Van Zelst, Louann 1
- Walkup, Carrie M. 1
- Whitney, Myrtle Viola 1
- Young Women's Christian Association (Northwestern University Chapter) 1 ∧ less