Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Identifier: MS62 MS86
Abstract The McCormick Library has several collections that contain correspondence, diaries, and other materials related to the Civil War era. Some materials describe the experiences of soldiers during the war, or who served in the territories; others document the “home front” trials and anxieties, and some provide reflections or analysis after the war.
Abstract Joseph Bartlett Dorr (1825-1865), left the management of the Dubuque Herald to recruit soldiers for the 12 th Regiment of the Iowa Volunteers in 1861.The Dorr Collection consists of manuscripts, documents, journal entries, and family correspondence written between 1837 and 1902.
Dates: 1837 - 1902; Other: Majority of material found within 1861 - 1865
Abstract Correspondence, research notes, mapas, proofs, and reviews of McCormick's book Ulysses S. Grant (New York and London: D. Appleton-Century, Inc., 1934; also New York: Bond-Wheelwright, 1950).
Dates: 1933 - 1934
Abstract Rev. Willis Weaver was chaplain of the Illinois Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion. He had a scholarly interest in Edwin M. Stanton, President Lincoln’s Secretary of War. This collection of material consists of typescripts of several of his articles on Stanton, as well as the published version of an address on Stanton given before the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, Commandery of Illinois, in Chicago in 1927.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- United States--Armed Forces 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons 1
- Dorr, J. B. (Joseph Bartlett), 1825-1865 2
- Weaver, Willis, 1846-1929 2
- Bilbie, Henry G., 1838-1920 1
- Cutler, Julia Perkins, 1814-1904 1
- Dorr family 1
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 1
- Graves, Abraham D., 1826-1907 1
- King, Sherwin Warren, 1839-1863 1
- McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 1
- Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Commandery of the State of Illinois 1
- Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters), 1814-1869 1
- United States. Army. Cavalry, 8th 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1866) 1 ∧ less