Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract Downs most significant contributions to the field of theatre were in his role as an acting teacher and director, both roles he played at Northwestern University from 1973 – 2007. The David Downs papers are arranged in 51 boxes and span the years from 1927 to 2014. They are organized into five main subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, Northwestern University, publications and professional work, and oversize materials.
Dates: 1927 - 2014
Abstract The Frank Galati Papers fill 38 boxes and span the years 1948-2006; the bulk of the papers date between 1965 and 2005. The papers consist mostly of scripts and other notes from the plays he wrote, directed or in which he acted. Biographical files include personal information about Galati and his family. They also include resumes (Box 1, Folder 1), drafts of speeches he made (Box 1, Folder 6) and materials from awards he received and workshops he attended (Box 1, Folder 7).
Dates: 1948 - 2014; Other: Majority of material found within 1965 - 2005
Abstract The Alvina Krause Collection fills ten boxes and spans the dates 1929-2003. The bulk of the collection consists of Krause's teaching notes from her years at Northwestern University's School of Speech. Most of the material in this collection was gathered over many years by David Downs, a former student of Krause's and a faculty member in Northwestern University's School of Communication. The collection includes a substantial number of photocopies that Downs made. While the collection lacks the...
Abstract The Piven Theatre Workshop, a theatre educational center and professional theatre company in Evanston, Illinois, was founded by Joyce and Byrne Piven. The Records include the Piven Theatre Company’s production and events files, photographs, teaching materials, public relations material, Joyce Piven’s subject files, audiovisual recordings, project grant files, and posters.
Abstract Mary Scriver attended Northwestern University from 1958-1961 and was a student of Alvina Krause, Associate Professor of Dramatic Production, 1957-1961. Her papers are directly related to her experience as a student of Krause, consisting of class notes and writings, and later, correspondence with classmates and friends associated with Krause. The Mary Scriver Papers fill five boxes and span the years from 1950-2012.
Abstract Viola Spolin has been called the "high priestess of improvisational theatre". Born in Chicago in 1906, Spolin is best known as the creator of theater games, originally created as a series of exercises to aid students in the study of drama. In 1955, Spolin conducted workshops for the Playwrights Theater Club, and later at the Compass Theater. In 1960 she began running improvisation workshops for the cast of Second City. As an outgrowth of her work with Second City, Spolin published...
Dates: 1925-2003; Other: Date acquired: 03/01/2010
Abstract Konstantin Sergeevich Stanislavskii (né Alexeev), one of the central figures in 20th Century theatre, was an actor, director, producer and theorist of acting. The archive is comprised of ~65 handwritten letters from Stanislavskii to Elizabeth Hapgood, 6 telegrams and 3 typed letters.
Dates: 1928 - 1936
- Northwestern University Archives 5
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 2
- Acting--Study and teaching 5
- Improvisation (Acting)--Study and teaching 2
- Theater--Production and direction 2
- Actors 1
- College students 1
- College theater 1
- Drama in education 1
- Drama--Study and teaching 1
- Evanston (Ill.) 1
- Theater 1
- Theater--Study and teaching 1
- Theatrical companies 1
- Theatrical producers and directors 1
- Women college students 1 ∧ less
- English 6
- Russian 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 3
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Second City (Theater company) 2
- Compass Players (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Downs, David, 1946- 1
- Galati, Frank 1
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Hapgood, Elizabeth Reynolds 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Piven Theatre Workshop 1
- Shepherd, David, 1924-2018 1
- Sills, Paul, 1927-2008 1
- Spolin Center 1
- Spolin, Viola 1
- Stanislavsky, Konstantin, 1863-1938 1
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company 1
- Story Theater (Theater company) 1
- Strachan Scriver, Mary, 1939- 1
- United States. Works Progress Administration. Recreation Division 1 ∧ less