Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents The Records of the Africana Library (chiefly correspondence) are arranged in alphabetical order. Files span the years from 1947 through 2000.
Dates: 1947 - 2000
Found in: Northwestern University Archives
Abstract Jan Vansina was born in Antwerp, Belgium on September 14, 1929 and received his Ph.D. in history from the University Leuven in 1957. He is a major figure in the study of Africa. He published twenty monographs, over two hundred articles, and was the co-author, editor, compiler, annotator etc. of many other works. His extensive fieldwork and study of oral tradition established the context and methodologies for reconstructing African history through the use of oral tradition. The Jan Vansina...
Dates: 1718-2010; Other: Date acquired: 07/31/2010
- Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies 1
- Northwestern University Archives 1
- Africa--History--Study and teaching 1
- Africa--Study and teaching 1
- Oral interpretation--Study and teaching 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. African Department 1
- Vansina, Jan 1