Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract Materials in this expanding collection pertain to the experience of African American students and faculty at Northwestern University. The documents included in this collection are university reports about African American students, articles on race and higher education, reproductions of student newspapers discussing race relations on-campus and materials concerning the 1968 Bursar’s Office Takeover. This collection also includes biographical subject files.
Dates: 1870 - 2017
Abstract On May 3, 1968 more than 100 undergraduate and graduate students occupied the Bursar's Office, in the first major sit-in experienced at Northwestern University. After the students' April 22nd list of demands were not met, they declared their intention to keep the office occupied until these demands were met. This peaceful 38-hour occupation ended with University leaders negotiating with students, and committing to enhance services and support for Black students related to admissions,...
Dates: 1968 - 2008; Other: Majority of material found within 1968
Abstract The Ronald Craig Papers (Series No. 31/6/222) consist of one box of 100 photographs and 4.09 gigabytes of digitized photographs taken by College of Arts and Sciences and School of Law alumnus Ronald Lucius Craig, dating from 1971 to 1976, and accompanying documentation created in 2021.
Dates: 1971-1974, 2021-2022 and undated
Abstract The Records of the Department of African American Student Affairs (AASA), filling three boxes and spanning the years 1966 to 2001, contain valuable information on the development of the Black community at Northwestern University. The bulk of the records consist of historical information and materials relating to organizations, programs, and events under the sponsorship of the office.The Historical Records of the Office of African American Student Affairs (AASA) date from ca. 1968...
Abstract Collection consists of the records of National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), predominantly of the Northwestern University Chapter of NSBE, spanning two boxes and dating from 1981-1982 and 1992-2008.
Dates: 1981-1982, 1992-2008
Abstract Collection consists of records of the Northwestern University Black Alumni Association (NUBAA), dating from circa 1968 to 2018, including approximately 1.6 linear feet (4 boxes) and 36.3 gigabytes of born-digital files of organization records, photographs, audiovisual recordings, and artifacts.
Dates: circa 1968-2018
Abstract NUBIA (Northwestern University Black-Wimmin In Action) was established in October 1990 to address the needs of African-American women--faculty, staff, and students--at Northwestern University. The records of NUBIA, filling one box and spanning the years 1990-2001, document the foundation and major activities of the organization. They consist of organizational documents, meeting agendas and minutes, membership lists, activities announcements and handouts, general and activities-related...
Abstract Eva Jefferson Paterson (1949- ), a graduate of Northwestern University's Weinberg College of Arts and Science class of 1971, is a civil rights attorney. Her collection spans the years 1970-2013 and contains biographical materials, correspondence, interviews, publications, and awards.
Dates: 1970 - 2017
- African American college students 7
- African American college students--Societies and clubs 3
- College students 3
- College students--Societies and clubs 2
- Student movements 2
- African American civil rights workers 1
- African American college teachers 1
- African American engineers 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African American photographers 1
- African American student movements 1
- Civil rights demonstrations--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Civil rights workers 1
- Engineering students 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Race relations 1
- Lawyers 1
- Race relations 1
- Women college students 1
- Women college students--Societies and clubs 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Societies and clubs 3
- Craig, Ronald L. 1
- For Members Only 1
- Mack, Raymond W. 1
- National Society of Black Engineers (U.S.) 1
- National Society of Black Engineers (U.S.). Northwestern University Chapter 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Registers 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of African American Student Affairs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Minority Student Affairs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 1
- Northwestern University Black Alumni Association 1
- Northwestern University Black-Wimmin in Action 1
- Paterson, Eva 1
- University of Chicago--Students 1 ∧ less