Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract Agnes Jones Cashman became an instructor in physical education and hygiene at Northwestern in 1927, teaching a variety of courses in dance and hygiene. She was promoted to assistant professor in 1931 and in 1932 became director of physical education in the College of Liberal Arts. The Agnes Jones Cashman Papers fill eighteen boxes and are organized in four main categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, and teaching files, with small amounts in five additional...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract This collection consists of dance cards from events spanning the years 1903 - 1935. The majority of dance sponsors were fraternities and sororities. However, there are also dance cards from Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Prom in addition.
Dates: 1903-1935, 1944-1949
Abstract The Northwestern University Dance Marathon, commonly known as NUDM, is a philanthropic dance marathon held annually during March in Evanston, Illinois on the campus of Northwestern University. The records of Dance Marathon fill 13 boxes and span the years 1972-2015.
Dates: 1972 - 2015
Abstract The papers of Katherine Flowers reflect a life dedicated to the art of dance, particularly African-American dance. They document Flowers' long career as a dancer, choreographer, and teacher. The papers lend insight into the popularization of African-American dance in the twentieth century, a process in which Flowers and her contemporary, Katherine Dunham, played a significant role.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract The Jessica Herzogenrath Papers, 1998-2002, includes history and dance theory class notes and class material, as well as choreography notes. Jessica Ray Herzogenrath earned her BA in History at Northwestern University in 2002, after which she moved to Texas to perform, choreograph, and teach dance.
Dates: 1998 - 2002
Abstract The Juliette Lipschultz Papers offer a detailed narrative surrounding the life and work of Juliette Abt Lipschultz. This collection features items from her career as a dancer during the 1920s, materials pertaining to her life and interests, and correspondence describing her human relationships, especially with her two daughters, Karen DeCrow and Claudia Lipschultz.
Dates: 1914 - 2011
Abstract The Ariadna Mikéshina Music Manuscripts and Papers comprise a collection of the Russian-born emigre composer’s music in manuscript and published editions as well as some programs, notes and correspondence documenting her career. Mikéshina composed songs, works for solo piano, solo instruments with piano accompaniment as well as works for chamber ensembles, orchestra and music for ballet and plays.
Dates: 1917 - 1982
Found in: Music Library
Abstract The Records of the Dance Program, filling three boxes and spanning the years 1974 to 2006, document the founding and development of the program, as well as materials relating to coursework, guest performances, and student productions. Materials include correspondence from the program's initial establishment, handwritten choreography notes, event schedules and programs, and newspaper articles.
- Northwestern University Archives 7
- Music Library 1
- Dance--Study and teaching 4
- Dance 2
- African American dance 1
- African American dancers 1
- Ballet 1
- Chamber music 1
- Choreography 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Social life and customs 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston--Societies and clubs 1
- Composers 1
- Dance cards 1
- Dance marathons--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Dancers 1
- History--Study and teaching 1
- Music--20th century--Manuscripts 1
- Orchestral music 1
- Physical education and training--Study and teaching 1
- Piano music 1
- Songs 1
- Student activities--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Vocal music 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 2
- Dance Marathon (Northwestern University) 1
- DeCrow, Karen 1
- Flowers, Katherine, 1896-1982 1
- Herzogenrath, Jessica Ray 1
- Jones, Agnes Elizabeth, 1901-1989 1
- Lipschultz, Juliette Abt, 1904-1998 1
- Mikeshina, Ariadna, 1900-1982 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Dance Program 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Physical Education Department 1 ∧ less