Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Abstract Baker Brownell enjoyed a rich and varied career as a soldier, newspaper man, popular teacher and lecturer, prolific writer and minor power, and scholar concerned with the dynamics of both the "small community" and the larger "human community" of which it formed an important component. During his lifetime, much of which was spent as a member of the faculty at Northwestern, Brownell achieved a national reputation based upon both his recognized abilities as a lecturer and teacher and his...
Abstract In 1969, David Gordon joined the faculty of the Medill School of Journalism as an Associate Professor. He taught courses in The Press and Society, News Media and Society, Government and the Press, Law of Journalism, and Reporting Public Affairs. He has published articles in various journals including the Columbia Journal and the NU Report. The David Gordon Papers are arranged in three categories: correspondence and related materials pertaining to the Medill School of Journalism; teaching...
Abstract The Harry F. Harrington Papers fill three boxes and are arranged in five subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, teaching files, speeches, and publications. There are as well a few files relating to Harrington's college education. The biographical materials include a number of newspaper clippings, five of which report on the aborted program in journalism at Western Reserve University. Many others deal with Harrington's appointment at Medill and...
Abstract Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Michael C. Janeway served as professor of Journalism and dean of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University from 1989-1997. This series consists of biographical material, correspondence, publications and other documents relating mostly to Janeway’s time at Northwestern.
Abstract During his more than 35 years at Northwestern University, Curtis MacDougall--"Dr. Mac" to his students--emerged as one of America’s leading journalism experts and educators. The Curtis MacDougall Papers fill one and one-half boxes and span the years 1940 to 1992. Class handouts and syllabi comprise the bulk of the material, although there is a considerable amount of material pertaining to MacDougall's political campaigns. The papers also include a few samples of MacDougall's writings. The...
Abstract The John Bartlow Martin Papers fill two boxes and span the period 1960-1987. Most of the Papers are in the teaching files with small amounts of biographical materials, correspondence, administration files, and publications. He worked as a freelance writer as well as serving as a special envoy and as a U.S. Ambassador to Dominican Republic. He was a staff member for Adlai Stevenson, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Hubert H. Humphrey. After teaching at Wesleyan, Princeton, and the City...
Abstract Chicago journalist and author Robert (Bob) McClory wrote about race, class, and religion after graduating from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism in 1971, where he later taught. His Papers (1970-2014) include biographical materials, teaching notes, research notes, and drafts of articles, as well as many of McClory's published articles from periodicals and newspapers.
Abstract The National High School Institute at Northwestern University was established in 1930. The first journalism institute was held the summer of 1934. The Medill School of Journalism's division of the Institute is traditionally a five-week course for high school students which touches on almost all phases of journalism, including reporting, creative writing, contemporary thought, feature writing, editorial writing, news editing and layout. The program consists of lab sessions, lectures and...
Abstract The Records of Dean Ira W. Cole fill 15 boxes and span the period 1957 to 2002. The papers include biographical material, general correspondence, administrative subject files and publications and speeches.
Abstract The Kenneth E. Olson Papers fill one box and span the years 1937 to 1967. The records provide an overview of Olson's career during his tenure as Dean and Dean Emeritus of Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Materials include biographical files, clippings, articles, and Olson's faculty file.
Abstract Northwestern University journalism professor Mary Ann (Damme) Weston earned both her bachelor’s (1962) and master’s (1963) degrees at the Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism. Her papers fill four boxes and span the years 1974 to 2004. The papers mainly document the later years of Weston’s career at Northwestern (1980s through 1990s), with the bulk of the materials comprising records of Weston’s work on Medill and University committees, and her teaching files. The papers...
- Subject: Journalism--Study and teaching X
- Medill School of Journalism--Faculty 7
- Medill School of Journalism--Administration 3
- Addams, Jane, 1860-1935 1
- Adler, Mortimer Jerome, 1902-2001 1
- Brownell, Baker, 1887-1965 1
- Cole, Ira W. (Ira William), 1924-2002 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952 1
- Douglas, Paul H. (Paul Howard), 1892-1976 1
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 1
- Gale, Zona, 1874-1938 1
- Gordon, David, 1935- 1
- Harrington, H. F. (Harry Franklin), 1882-1935 1
- Hicks, Granville, 1901-1982 1
- Janeway, Michael, 1940-2014 1
- La Follette, Philip Fox, 1897-1965 1
- MacDougall, Curtis Daniel, 1903-1985 1
- Martin, John Bartlow, 1915-1987 1
- McClory, Robert, 1932-2015 1
- McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 1
- Monroe, Harriet, 1860-1936 1
- National High School Institute 1
- Olson, Kenneth E. (Kenneth Eugene), 1895-1967 1
- Otto, Max Carl, 1876-1968 1
- Richberg, Donald R. (Donald Randall), 1881-1960 1
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Sanger, Margaret, 1879-1966 1
- Santayana, George, 1863-1952 1
- Simms, Ruth Hanna McCormick, 1880-1944 1
- Tallmadge, Thomas E. (Thomas Eddy), 1876-1940 1
- United States. Federal Bureau of Investigation 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Weston, Mary Ann 1
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975 1
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959 1 ∧ less