Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 36
Abstract The Jack Berry Papers fill eighteen legal size boxes. They consist of small amounts of biographical materials, correspondence, and reports along with larger bodies of research files and publications. At Northwestern Berry served as the director of the Program of Oriental and African Languages. In 1970 and 1971 he held visiting professorships at the University of Ghana and the University of the West Indies.
Abstract The Brian P. Johnston Papers include lecture and reading notes mainly concerning European and American authors and literature.
Abstract DeCoster taught Spanish at Northwestern University for 16 years. He was the author of 11 books and 35 scholarly articles. DeCoster's research focused on 19th century Spanish literature. The Cyrus C. DeCoster Papers fill one box and span the years 1948-1999. The material summarizes Professor DeCoster's academic work, and is divided into six subseries: biographical material, published articles, book reviews, reviews of books, “Pardo Bazán” drafts, and Juan Valera research...
Abstract The Records of the Classics Department at Northwestern University fill three boxes and span the years 1964-1992. The records fall into four categories - administrative, faculty files, teaching files, and teaching assistant files, of which the teaching files comprise the largest part.
Abstract The Douglas Cole papers fill nine boxes and span the years 1960 to 1997. They contain biographical materials, materials relating to Cole's involvement with Northwestern University, publications and addresses, and teaching files. Materials relating to Cole's Northwestern University involvement include files on the Comparative Literature Committee, the Dean's Advisory Board on Tenure and Promotions, the Drama Program, and the English Department.
Abstract The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
Abstract This series, arranged in nine boxes, spans the years from 1945 through 1982. The series is divided into four subseries: departmental correspondence; budget records; general files; and assistantship, fellowship, and scholarship files. The departmental correspondence dates between 1961 and 1982. The departmental correspondence is largely administrative in nature. The budget records span the period 1962-1970. These records deal almost exclusively with departmental salary and budget planning...
Abstract This series contains The College Of Arts And Sciences, English Department General Files from 1930 - 1964.
Abstract This series is comprised of English Department doctoral qualifying examinations from the period 1956-1977. Most of the examinations date between 1974 and 1977 and typically include both examination questions and candidates' written responses. Completing the series is one folder of examination questions from the period 1956-1964.
Abstract Eta Sigma Phi is an honorary classics (Greek and Latin) fraternity. This series consists of the surviving records of the Beta Chapter (Northwestern) of Eta Sigma Phi. The great bulk of the records concern the activities of the Beta Chapter in the years 1950-1960.
Abstract Bergen Evans joined the faculty of Northwestern University in the department of English in 1932. He was an incredibly popular instructor, and remained at Northwestern until his retirement in 1974. The Bergen Evans Papers, comprising 83 boxes and spanning the period 1921–1978, includes biographical materials, educational materials, correspondence, teaching materials, research and consulting files, addresses, television and radio program files, and publications.
Abstract The Lawrence Evans Papers fill twenty-two boxes and span the years 1956 to 1999. The papers consist of Evans' notes from Harvard classes, correspondence relating to Northwestern, teaching files, correspondence with and about students, graduate student files, biographical information, committee and professional association records, course files, and publication files. The bulk of the papers document Evans' 40 year teaching career as professor of English at Northwestern University.
Abstract The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
Abstract The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Abstract The Grundy Steiner (1916-2004) Papers, 1937-2004 consist largely of teaching files and correspondence from Professor Steiner's time teaching at Northwestern (1947-1984). The papers contain research notes for publications, classes, and lectures, as well as biographical materials like Northwestern personnel records and biographies.
Abstract Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
Abstract German poet and literary critic Hans Egon Holthusen taught German Language and Literature at Northwesern from 1968-1981. His papers contain offprints, manuscripts, publications, and correspondence (copies), which Holthusen received from distinguished European authors, poets, and philosophers.
Abstract The Harrison Hayford papers fill seventy-two boxes, spanning the years 1916 to 2002. The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence files, Northwestern University teaching files, Northwestern University student files and the Melville Editing Project files. The Hayford Papers are divided into eleven major subseries: biographical materials, education, personal correspondence, Northwestern University correspondence, subject correspondence, Northwestern University teaching files, teaching files...
Abstract The Erich Heller Papers fill thirteen boxes and span the period 1932 to 1990. The major portion (seven boxes) consists of correspondence, most of which is comprised of letters to Heller and much is in German. The other major section, publications (almost five boxes), contains primarily drafts and reprints of articles, and book reviews by Heller and reviews of books authored by Heller. There are also small amounts of teaching files and materials relating to papers Heller presented at...
Abstract The Addison Hibbard Papers fill four boxes (including one half-size box) and span the period 1911-1973, although practically all of the material falls within the years 1911-1945. The Papers are comprised of two categories: correspondence and publications. There are also seven folders of biographical materials including two folders relating to Hibbard's graduate work.
- Subject: Literature--Study and teaching X
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 23
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 22
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Classics 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of German 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Romance Languages 3
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Berry, Jack 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cole, Douglas 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- DeCoster, Cyrus Cole, 1914-1999 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Eta Sigma Phi. Beta Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Evans, Lawrence (Lawrence Gove), 1935-2011 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heller, Erich, 1911-1990 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Holthusen, Hans Egon, 1913-1997 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Johnston, Brian, 1932- 1
- Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Leslie, John Kenneth, 1907-1985 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Molnár, Géza von, 1932-2001 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish and Portuguese 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de, 1852-1921 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Prior, Moody E. (Moody Erasmus), 1901-1996 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932- 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Shanley, J. Lyndon (James Lyndon), 1910-1996 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Small, Stuart G. P. 1
- Spann, Meno, 1903-1991 1
- Steiner, Grundy, 1916-2004 1
- Stimson, Frederick S. (Frederick Sparks), 1919- 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Valera, Juan, 1824-1905 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 ∧ less