Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 58
Abstract The series consists of eleven four-by-five inch glass plate negatives accompanied by corresponding contact prints. The negatives date from the period 1906-1911[?] and feature views of the Northwestern University campus and of University events (including a May, 1908, interscholastic track meet and commencement, ca. 1911). One additional contact print depicting Evanston's Grosse Point Lighthouse is unaccompanied by a negative. Negative emulsions are in fair to poor condition with considerable...
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1906-1911
Abstract James L. Bixby was a member of Northwestern's class of 1943, though he did not complete the requirements for a degree. He was a photographer for the Purple Parrot, a highly regarded campus humor and feature magazine, as well as the Daily Northwestern and the Syllabus. The Bixby collection consists of approximately 1,000 items, including interfiled prints and negatives. The photographs document life at Northwestern during the period ca. 1939-1942. Prominent among them are images of courtship,...
Abstract The University Archives holds photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1978. The photographs appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for freshmen entering the University. The photographs, usually wallet-size, are mounted in groups, alphabetically arranged by student surnames, on forty-five fifteen inch-by-twenty-one inch sheets of cardboard.
Abstract These additions are photographs of individual members of the class of 1981. The additions supplement and complete earlier accession of freshmen photographs processed as University Archives Series 75/32/2 (Accession #81-111).
Abstract This series comprises a set of photographs of individual senior members and bachelors degree candidates of the Northwestern class of 1982. The photographs are black and white, wallet-size portraits and are mounted in composite fashion on cardboard layout sheets. The photographs appeared in the 1982 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 98). Each layout sheet is identified by a number corresponding to a Syllabus page number. The sheets are arranged...
Abstract These photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1983, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for freshmen entering the University, Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1983.
Abstract The University Archives holds photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1984. The photographs, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for freshmen entering the University. The photographs, comprising three boxes, are contained individually within envelopes bearing biographical information pertaining to each student. This information includes name, home address, hobbies, name of secondary...
Abstract This series, comprising three boxes, includes photographs of most freshman members of Northwestern University's class of 1986. These photographs, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the booklet, Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1986, published for the University's entering freshman class. Each print is identified on the reverse by the student's name and social security number, and is contained within an envelope bearing the...
Abstract This series, filling one and one-half boxes, is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the class of 1988. These photographs, for the most part wallet-size color portraits, were collected for and appeared in the published booklet, “Introducing the Northwestern University Class of 1988,” published for entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse with the pictured student's name.
Abstract This three-box series is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the Northwestern University class of 1991. The photographs, for the most part wallet-size color prints and portraits, appeared in the booklet, “Class of 1991,” published for incoming freshmen by the Northwestern University Department of Alumni Relations. Nearly all of the photographs are contained individually in envelopes on which the following information is recorded: student's name, address, hobbies or...
Abstract This series, arranged in one and one-half boxes, is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the Northwestern University class of 1992. The photographs, generally wallet-size color snapshots and portraits, appeared in published from in the booklet, “Class of 1992,” issued for incoming freshmen by the University's Department of Alumni Relations. The photographs usually are identified on the reverse by individual's name and home address.
Abstract This series incorporates 27 albums of class photographic portraits dating between the years 1874 and 1888. Albums feature portraits of members of a given year's Northwestern University senior class, typically from the College of Liberal Arts, although all members of a class are not necessarily represented in any single volume. Also commonly found in the albums are portraits of Northwestern faculty and administrators, landscapes of Northwestern's Evanston Campus, and photographs of building...
Abstract This series consists of negatives taken by photographers for the Daily Northwestern, Northwestern University's student newspaper. Mostly in 35mm black and white format, they date to the period 1985-1991. Many of the negative sleeves feature a brief description of the subject or action depicted in the negatives and sometimes note the name of the Daily Northwestern photographer.
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1985 - 1991; 1985-1991, and undated
Abstract This collection of photographs received from The Daily Northwestern spans the years 1975 to 1996, with the bulk of the photographs falling between the late 1980s and 1994. The photographs reflect a wide range of subjects and styles, and were taken for many different purposes. The collection provides a broad overview of life at Northwestern University, under the broad categories of events, people, athletics, and general materials. The collection includes many...
Abstract The series consists of four binders of black and white photographs documenting the construction process and the newly finished structure of the Charles Deering Library at Northwestern University. With two or three exceptions, all photographs were taken by the Chicago Architectural Photographing Company. The photographs document each state in the building's construction, from bare ground to completed but windowless exterior; and show the completed building (both general views, and details).
Abstract Octavo da Costa Eduardo came to Northwestern University in 1941 for two years of graduate study in anthropology. His graduate work was supported by the U.S. Department of State under the Buenos Aires Convention. The Octavio da Costa Eduardo papers fill three boxes. The papers include biographical material, correspondence, lecture notes, research papers, and other materials relating to Eduardo's undergraduate and graduate study.
Abstract This series is comprised of thirty-one mounted photographs of various views of Fisk Hall and other subjects associated with the Medill School of Journalism. The photographs formed an exhibit on the history of Fisk Hall and the Medill School of Journalism that was presented by members of the University Archives staff in Fisk hall in 1989. The photographs, filling one standard-size archival box are arranged by format: there are eight 3″x5″ photographs, thirteen 5″x8″ photographs, and thirteen...
Abstract The Tod H. Francis photograph collection spans the period 1977-1983 and fills 16 boxes. Francis, an alumnus of Northwestern University, took photographs of activities of student life on campus during his years at Northwestern, especially fraternity and sorority activities. The collection contains color photographic negatives, prints, contact sheets, and transparencies.
Dates: 1977-1983; Other: Date acquired: 12/10/2007
Abstract The photographs in this collection, 5x7" glass plate negatives, date from the early years of the twentieth century. Most are of the Northwestern University campus and its surrounding area including some photographs of individuals either affiliated with Northwestern or living in Evanston, Illinois.
Abstract The Olga M. Haring photograph collection consists of black and white photographs, prints, and negatives pertaining to Haring's research on cardiac malformations in chickens and rats.
- Subject: Photographs X
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 35
- Evanston (Ill.) 4
- Business students 2
- College theater 2
- Photography--Negatives 2
- Academic libraries 1
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 1
- Chickens 1
- College students--Housing--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Fisk Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Grosse Point Lighthouse (Ill.) 1
- Heart--Abnormalities 1
- Library buildings 1
- Lifesaving stations--Michigan, Lake--Officials and employees 1
- Lifesaving--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Newspapers--Illustrations 1
- Rats 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Portraits 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 38
- Syllabus (Evanston, Ill.) 16
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 15
- Northwestern Alumni Association 8
- Students Publishing Company (Northwestern University) 7
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 6
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Yearbooks 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 3
- Daily Northwestern (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management--Students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1981 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of University Relations 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Prospectus (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Bell, Herbert Yeomans, 1882-1965 1
- Bergen, Edgar, 1903-1978 1
- Bixby, James L., 1921-2002 1
- Eduardo, Octavio de Costa, 1919- 1
- Evanston Life Saving Station (U.S.) 1
- Francis, Tod Huntington, 1959- 1
- Haring, Olga Munk, 1917-2002 1
- Hesler, Alexander, 1823-1895 1
- Hestoft, Ralf-Finn 1
- Horton, Donald H., 1908-1992 1
- Kay, Livonia Ruth, 1867-1949 1
- Martin, William Reddick, 1914-2005 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Minsk, L. David, 1924-2017 1
- National High School Institute 1
- National High School Institute--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Employees 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Track and field 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1976 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1978 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 1
- Pingree, Melvin A., 1845-1865 or 1866 1
- Reynolds, Eva Jane, 1885-1933 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Union College of Law 1
- Union College of Law--Employees 1
- United States. Army--Officers--Portraits 1
- W. B. Nickerson Photo Company 1 ∧ less