Showing Collections: 21 - 40 of 58
Abstract Over 150 photographic prints (mostly 4x6 cabinet size, mounted on cardstock) taken by noted Evanston, Illinois, photographer Alexander Hesler, dating circa 1870-1887 and depicting Northwestern University faculty, students, and buildings. The collection includes 2 copies of the published volume Photographic Views of Picturesque Evanston (1887).
Ralf-Finn Hestoft (Photographer) Photographs of Students, Faculty, Staff, Campus Events, and Scenes on and Off Campus
Abstract This series consists of ninety-eight contact sheets printed from thousands of Ralf-Finn Hestoft's 35mm black-and-white negatives of photographs taken during 1979 and 1980 for the Daily Northwestern and the Northwestern University Syllabus yearbook. The photographs show students (informal photographs and portraits); faculty, staff, and administrators; campus scenes and events, athletics and speakers; and off-campus scenes.
Abstract The series is comprised of Donald H. Horton's photographs documenting curricular affairs, theatrical productions, student activities, and special events sponsored by the Northwestern University School of Speech. The photographs, in print format of various standard sizes, date from the summer of 1940 when Horton was a student at the School. Included among the photographs are several notable images of School of Speech faculty and of Carl Sandburg's and Edgar Bergen's visits to the Northwestern...
Abstract This series of three boxes consists of photographs of most of the freshman class of 1987. These photographs, typically wallet-sized, were collected for and appeared in the booklet Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1987, published for the entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse by the student's name and social security number and is attached to a sheet bearing the same information.
Abstract These photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1982, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for first-year students entering the University.
Abstract This series comprises a set of individual photographs of senior and graduating members of the class of 1976. The photographs appeared in the 1976 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 92). Included in the series are photographs of candidates both for bachelors degrees and Evening Division degrees. The photographs are wallet-size, black and white portraits. They are mounted in composite fashion on several oversized cardboard layout sheets. Each layout sheet is...
Abstract This series comprises a set of individual photographs of senior and graduating members of the class of 1978. The photographs appeared in the 1978 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 94). Included in this series are photographs of candidates both for bachelors degrees and Evening Division degrees. The photographs are wallet-size and are mounted in composite fashion on several oversized layout sheets. Each layout sheet is identified by a number corresponding to a page...
Abstract This series comprises six and one-half boxes of photographs of individual senior and graduating members of the class of 1979. The photographs are mainly three and one-half inch-by-five inch color portraits. Photographs of each member of the class, often including multiple copies of portraits as well as negatives, are contained within envelopes identified by students' names. The envelopes are arranged within boxes alphabetically by surname. Portraits from this series appeared in the 1979...
Abstract This series consists of individual photographs of senior members of the class of 1981. The photographs appeared in the 1981 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 97). The photographs are wallet-size, black and white portraits. They are mounted in composite fashion on several oversized cardboard layout sheets. Each layout sheet is identified with a number corresponding to a page number (224-285) of the Syllabus
Abstract Before printed yearbooks with photographs of students became widespread, college students exchanged individual photographs taken at local photography studios and reproduced in quantity. The photographs—usually the 4-1/2″ × 6-1/4″ size called cabinet photographs—were mounted on card stock printed with the photographer's name and address. Students filled albums (with spaces designed to fit the standard cabinet size photos) with card photographs of their friends, including photos of faculty and...
Abstract William Reddick Martin was a photojournalist employed by the Fort Collins Coloradan. He later became a photographer for the U.S. Airforce during World War II. The collection reflects Martin’s student-era efforts at various forms of photography – photojournalistic, narrative, artistic, commercial, and portraiture – and appear to document his experiences in and around Denver, Colorado.
Dates: Circa 1936-1937
Abstract This collection consists of black and white photographic negatives taken by Evanston native and Northwestern University alumnus L. David Minsk, approximately from 1939 to 1942. The photographs include images of University Theatre and Children's Theatre productions, ancillary shots such as a Children's theatre audience, an acting class performance, a studio make-up room, and protraits made of several Northwestern students.
Dates: approximately 1939-1942
Abstract This collection consists of photographs from the National High School Institute (NHSI) summer programs in Business, Education, Engineering, Journalism, Music and Speech at Northwestern University. The bulk of the photographs date from the years 1950-1970. There are class photographs for many of the years. There are also photographs of students in the classroom, in laboratory settings, and on trips into the city of Chicago.
Abstract The series is comprised of photographic prints and negatives relating to the activities, officers, staff, and command of Northwestern University's Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. Most of the photographs are snapshots of award and commissioning ceremonies, inspections, and training exercises although individual and group portraits of NROTC midshipmen are included as well. The bulk of the photographs are black and white. Prints are arranged in folders according to topical headings and date...
Abstract Photographs of Northwestern University related events and individuals made by Evanston's W. B. Nickerson Photo Company are arranged in five boxes. The photographs consist largely of black and white negatives along with a small number of color slides. The dates of these materials range from the 1940s to the 1970s.
Abstract Melvin A. Pingree was a Northwestern University student in the 1860s. His photograph collection contains carte-de-visite photographs of Northwestern students and faculty, as well as Civil War soldiers and officers.
Abstract This series consists of copies of photographic prints appearing in the 1986 edition of Prospectus, the yearbook of Northwestern University's J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management. Included are photographs of general subjects pertinent to KGSM and its students, as well as individual photographs of members of the class of 1986.
Abstract This series contains a selection of photographic prints appearing in the 1988 edition of Prospectus, the yearbook of the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management. The bulk of the prints are informal portraits of individual members of Kellogg's class of 1988. A few photographs of student groups and activities are included. The prints are black and white glossies; portraits measure 3.5 by 5 inches, photographs of other subjects range between 3.5 x 5 inches and 5...
Abstract Eva Reynolds' scrapbook is creatively crafted. Rather than filling the blank pages of a commercially produced scrapbook, she used a book of printed photographs entitled An Art Souvenir: Northwestern University (published by A. L. Swift & Co., Chicago, 1897) as the base for her scrapbook. Photographs and other items representing her experiences and activities at Northwestern are pasted on to pictures printed in the book. Many pages and photographs are titled...
- Subject: Photographs X
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 35
- Evanston (Ill.) 4
- Business students 2
- College theater 2
- Photography--Negatives 2
- Academic libraries 1
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 1
- Chickens 1
- College students--Housing--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Fisk Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Grosse Point Lighthouse (Ill.) 1
- Heart--Abnormalities 1
- Library buildings 1
- Lifesaving stations--Michigan, Lake--Officials and employees 1
- Lifesaving--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Newspapers--Illustrations 1
- Rats 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Portraits 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 38
- Syllabus (Evanston, Ill.) 16
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 15
- Northwestern Alumni Association 8
- Students Publishing Company (Northwestern University) 7
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 6
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Yearbooks 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 3
- Daily Northwestern (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management--Students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1981 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of University Relations 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Prospectus (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Bell, Herbert Yeomans, 1882-1965 1
- Bergen, Edgar, 1903-1978 1
- Bixby, James L., 1921-2002 1
- Eduardo, Octavio de Costa, 1919- 1
- Evanston Life Saving Station (U.S.) 1
- Francis, Tod Huntington, 1959- 1
- Haring, Olga Munk, 1917-2002 1
- Hesler, Alexander, 1823-1895 1
- Hestoft, Ralf-Finn 1
- Horton, Donald H., 1908-1992 1
- Kay, Livonia Ruth, 1867-1949 1
- Martin, William Reddick, 1914-2005 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Minsk, L. David, 1924-2017 1
- National High School Institute 1
- National High School Institute--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Employees 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Track and field 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1976 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1978 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 1
- Pingree, Melvin A., 1845-1865 or 1866 1
- Reynolds, Eva Jane, 1885-1933 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Union College of Law 1
- Union College of Law--Employees 1
- United States. Army--Officers--Portraits 1
- W. B. Nickerson Photo Company 1 ∧ less