Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 40
Abstract Maher Ahmad (B.A. 71, M.F.A. 74) is a highly successful production designer who has worked in theater, television, and film from Chicago to New York City to Hollywood. The Maher Ahmad Papers consist of material relating to his early life and general education, but primarily focuses on his work as a designer for the theater. The bulk of the collection is production design materials including set, lighting, and costume designs. Ahmad's teaching notes for the numerous theatre-related classes he...
Dates: 1962-1992; Other: Date acquired: 01/10/2010
Abstract Scripts and other materials produced by Paul Barosse (1958- ), an actor, and writer for television and motion pictures.
Dates: 1973-1997; Other: Date acquired: 01/01/2011
Abstract The Papers of Bud Beyer, NU alumnus and long-time (1972-2008) faculty member at NU's School of Communication, include biographical files, teaching materials, professional activities, and shows. The bulk of the collection consists of notes, scripts and clippings from Beyer's work as a mime instructor and from theatrical productions he directed.
Dates: 1956-2012; Other: Majority of material found within 1970 - 2000
Abstract Professor Robert S. Breen joined the faculty of the Northwestern University in 1947. Professor Breen’s distinguished academic career included his originating and refining the concept of Chamber Theatre. Chamber Theatre, now widely known and used, permitted the dramatic presentation of fiction and non-fiction without the artificial elimination of the narrator which more traditional dramatizations required. Readers' Theatre, the ensemble presentation of dramatic literature, were also a research...
Abstract Sheldon Harnick is a lyricist of numerous musical productions performed at broadway and other musical theatres and operas. As a major in violin at NU School of Music he began writing lyrics for the Waa-Mu show. In 1960 he won the Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize, and was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1993. He lives with his wife in New York City.
Dates: 1947-2011; Other: Date acquired: 02/07/2013
Abstract This collection on Chicago area theatres consists primarily of three scrapbooks filled with clippings, programs, reviews, and publicity generated for the theatre seasons between 1908 and 1915.
Abstract The records of the Children's Theatre of Evanston (Illinois) date from 1925 to 1986, with the bulk of the records falling between 1957 and 1986. The records are concerned with administration, education, fundraising, and production. They document the Theatre's changing relationships with Northwestern University and School District 65; the practice of Winifred Ward's drama education theory at public schools in Evanston; and Theatre performances between 1925 and 1986.
Abstract James F. Coakley joined Northwestern University's theatre faculty as Assistant Professor of Theatre in 1971. The James F. Coakley Papers, spanning the years from 1960 through 1993, comprise three boxes and are arranged in seven sub-series: biographical materials, education, scripts, publications, research, correspondence, and scrapbooks.
Dates: 1961-1993; Other: Date acquired: 01/08/2009
Abstract Crowley joined the faculty of Northwestern University as an Instructor in Dramatic Production in September 1949. In 1951, he began teaching Contemporary Theatre, and initiated the concept of organizing theatre parties for groups of students who received tickets at a reduced group rate. The Edward Joseph Crowley Papers are arranged in one and one-half boxes. They span the period 1933-1966. The Papers are organized into seven subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, radio scripts,...
Abstract The Dublin Gate Theatre was founded by Hilton Edwards (1903-1982) and Micheál MacLiammóir (1899-1978), two Englishmen who had met touring in Ireland with Anew McMaster's acting company.
Abstract Nancy Dussault (1936- ), a graduate of Northwestern University's School of Music (1957), is a singer and actress. Her long career includes starring roles in many Broadway musicals and on television. Her collection spans the years 1936-2014 and contains mostly scripts, programs, and news clippings from performances, along with some personal and biographical materials and correspondence.
Abstract The Frank Galati Papers fill 38 boxes and span the years 1948-2006; the bulk of the papers date between 1965 and 2005. The papers consist mostly of scripts and other notes from the plays he wrote, directed or in which he acted. Biographical files include personal information about Galati and his family. They also include resumes (Box 1, Folder 1), drafts of speeches he made (Box 1, Folder 6) and materials from awards he received and workshops he attended (Box 1, Folder 7).
Dates: 1948 - 2014; Other: Majority of material found within 1965 - 2005
Abstract Edwin Drexel Godfrey and his wife, Fanny, resided in New York and attended the theatre productions compiled here between 1906 and 1928. The E. Drexel Godfrey Theater Scrapbooks contain personal comments, playbills, photo clippings from theatrical magazines, and approximately 1900 black & white photographs documenting performances from 1906 to 1928. Photos are attributed to professional photographers and studios, and include individual and group shots of each show's cast on stage in...
Dates: 1906-1928; Other: Date acquired: 01/08/2010
Abstract Lilla Heston was a professor in the Interpretation Department of the School of Speech at Northwestern University. She was a prolific author, editor, and performer, focusing on drama and the interpretation of literature. She wrote numerous articles and reviews relating to literature and performance, edited textbooks on drama, and adapted, directed, and performed in scores of stage productions throughout her career. The Lilla Heston papers are arranged into the following subseries: biographical...
Abstract The series is comprised of Donald H. Horton's photographs documenting curricular affairs, theatrical productions, student activities, and special events sponsored by the Northwestern University School of Speech. The photographs, in print format of various standard sizes, date from the summer of 1940 when Horton was a student at the School. Included among the photographs are several notable images of School of Speech faculty and of Carl Sandburg's and Edgar Bergen's visits to the Northwestern...
Abstract The papers of costume designer Virgil Johnon, Northwestern University alumnus and faculty member in the School of Communication (1969-2007), include biographical and teaching files as well as costume and stage sketches and production material.
Dates: 1957-2013; Other: Date acquired: 12/08/2008
Abstract Howard William Kissel (1942-2012), a theatre critic and writer from Wisconsin, wrote for Women’s Wear Daily and a number of other publications. In 1986, he was appointed chief theatre critic for The New York Daily News, a position which he held for nearly 20 years. He also published over a half-dozen books, and wrote plays and musicals for most of his life. Materials in this collection include handwritten notes, drafts of...
Dates: 1930 - 2012; Other: Majority of material found within 1960 - 1990; Other: Date acquired: 02/08/2010
Abstract The papers of Charlotte I. Lee (Ph.D., Northwestern University, 1945; member of the University's Department of Interpretation faculty, 1945-1974) consist of biographical materials, correspondence dating from 1960-1986, publication and lecture materials, course grades and Northwestern University alumni fundraising records. Biographical materials, correspondence, and publications and lecture materials comprise the bulk of the collection.
Abstract Playwright Ira Levin was born in New York in 1929. He was twenty-two when he wrote his first novel, the thriller A Kiss Before Dying, and twenty-five when he wrote his first play, the popular adaptation of Mac Hyman's No Time for Sergeants. Other plays include the comedy hit Critic's Choice, the musical Drat! The Cat!, the thriller Veronica's Room, and Deathtrap. His novels include Rosemary's Baby , The Stepford Wives, and The Boys from Brazil.
Abstract Light Opera Works is a non-for-profit, professional musical theatre company founded in 1980. In addition to producing three to four shows per year, Light Opera Works puts on annual benefits and concerts. The records of Light Opera Works include contact sheets, marketing, correspondence, press clippings, press releases, stage, set and costume designs, photographic slides, financial ledgers, and audiocassette tapes that relate to the creative and business history of the company.
- Subject: Theater X
- Northwestern University Archives 35
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 5
- Theater--Study and teaching 15
- College theater 10
- Evanston (Ill.) 9
- Theater--Production and direction 7
- Theater 5
- Children's theater 3
- Musical theater 3
- Actresses 2
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- Improvisation (Acting) 2
- Photographs 2
- Theater--Production and direction--Study and teaching 2
- Theatrical companies 2
- Acting--Study and teaching 1
- Burlesque (Theater) 1
- Clergy 1
- College musicals 1
- Congregational churches--Clergy 1
- Costume 1
- Costume designers 1
- Dancers 1
- Drama--Study and teaching 1
- Dublin (Ireland) 1
- English drama--Early modern and Elizabethan, 1500-1600--History and criticism--Congresses 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- Improvisation (Acting)--Study and teaching 1
- Journalism 1
- Mime--Study and teaching 1
- Mimes 1
- Models (Persons) 1
- Motion picture art directors 1
- Music--Societies, etc. 1
- Opera 1
- Opera companies 1
- Operetta--United States--20th century 1
- Oral interpretation--Study and teaching 1
- Singers 1
- Speech--Societies, etc. 1
- Speech--Study and teaching 1
- Television scripts 1
- Television--Production and direction 1
- Theater critics 1
- Theater--England--History--16th century--Congresses 1
- Theater--England--History--17th century--Congresses 1
- Theater--Societies, etc. 1
- Theatrical producers and directors 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 10
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 9
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 4
- Children's Theatre of Evanston 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Interpretation 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Waa-Mu Show 2
- Ahmad, Maher 1
- Asolo Theater (Sarasota, Fla.) 1
- Barrosse, Paul, 1958- 1
- Bergen, Edgar, 1903-1978 1
- Beyer, Bud 1
- Breen, Gertrude, 1911-1992 1
- Breen, Robert S. 1
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 1
- Circle Repertory Company 1
- Circle Theatre Company (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Coakley, James Francis, 1933-2014 1
- Crowley, Edward J. (Edward Joseph), 1906-1984 1
- Daily news (New York, N.Y. : 1920) 1
- Dennis, Ralph B. (Ralph Brownell), 1876-1942 1
- DuVivier, David, 1911-1994 1
- Dublin Gate Theatre 1
- Dussault, Nancy 1
- Edwards, Hilton, 1903-1982 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Galati, Frank 1
- Godfrey, E. Drexel (Edwin Drexel), 1921-1981 1
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Graff, Gerald 1
- Harnick, Sheldon 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heston, Lilla, 1927-1984 1
- Horton, Donald H., 1908-1992 1
- Johnson, Virgil C. 1
- Kissel, Howard 1
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 1
- Larson, Mark (Mark Allen) 1
- Lee, Charlotte I. 1
- Levin, Ira, 1929-2007 1
- Levin, Ira, 1929-2007. General Seeger 1
- Light Opera Works (Theater company) 1
- Mac Liammóir, Micheál, 1899-1978 1
- Machan, Katharyn Howd, 1952- 1
- Mason, Marshall W. 1
- Mearns, Hughes, 1875-1965 1
- Miller, Joseph Willard, 1906-1979 1
- Mitchell, Lee, 1906-1988 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Theatre and Interpretation Center 1
- O'Neill, Lynne, 1918-2010 1
- Phi Beta. Alpha Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Piven Theatre Workshop 1
- Practical Theatre Company 1
- Robinson, Claudia Webster 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Scott, Elizabeth Franklin, 1906-2002 1
- Scott, George C., 1927-1999 1
- Scott, W. B. (Walter Bernard), 1906-1980 1
- Second City (Theater company) 1
- Shakespeare and the Public Conference (1975 : Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 1
- Sills, Aretha Amelia 1
- Sills, Paul, 1927-2008 1
- Speech Communication Association. Interpretation Division 1
- Spolin, Viola 1
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company 1
- Theatre 65 1
- Thurman, Anne H. 1
- Van Zelst, Louann 1
- Ward, Donald B., 1919-1994 1
- Ward, Vera Bantz, 1922-2014 1
- Ward, Winifred, 1884-1975 1 ∧ less