Showing Collections: 21 - 40 of 40
Abstract Marshall W. Mason (born February 24, 1940; B.A., Northwestern University School of Communication, 1961) is an American theater director, educator, and writer. He founded the Circle Repertory Company in New York City and was artistic director of the company for 18 years (1969-1987). He has received many awards over a long career in the theater, among them an Obie Award for Sustained Achievement in 1983 and, in 2016, the Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theater. His papers fill 190...
Dates: 1907-2019; Majority of material found within 1940-2019
Abstract The Joe Miller Papers are contained in five boxes and span the years 1924-1979. The collection contains biographical information, materials relating to his early life in Ottumwa, Iowa, and two important events in his Northwestern career: the 25th Waa-Mu show in 1956, and Miller's retirement in 1975. Two scrapbooks complete the collection.
Abstract The Lee Mitchell Papers consist of a variety of materials which reflect his activities as an educator, stage designer, author, and director of theater productions. The collection materials related to the plays directed by Mitchell as well as biographical materials. The most comprehensive and significant component of the collection consists of a variety of materials relating to 28 plays which Mitchell directed between 1946 and 1971. The quantity and quality of the notes for each production...
Abstract Lynne O’Neill (Elaine Jose Nolan) was a burlesque dancer, model, magazine contributor, and realtor. The collection spans the years 1931 through 2000. and consists of biographical and professional documents, fan mail, publications, photographs, and artifacts.
Abstract Paul Sills and Viola Spolin Oral History Collection is a project to collect oral histories documenting improvisational theatre, particularly in the Chicago region.
Dates: 2020 - 2021
Abstract The series is made up of the surviving records of the Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta fraternity. Most of the records date from the period 1960-1973. Included are budgetary and financial records; rosters of fraternity chapters and of Alpha Chapter officers; procedural guides and handbooks; clippings; a few copies of constitutions and bylaws; a small amount of correspondence; materials relating to chapter-sponsored projects, musical revues and performances; and records pertaining to chapter patrons.
Dates: 1912-1980, and undated
Abstract The Piven Theatre Workshop, a theatre educational center and professional theatre company in Evanston, Illinois, was founded by Joyce and Byrne Piven. The Records include the Piven Theatre Company’s production and events files, photographs, teaching materials, public relations material, Joyce Piven’s subject files, audiovisual recordings, project grant files, and posters.
Abstract The Practical Theatre Company (PTC) was a Chicago-based theatre company founded by Northwestern University students and active throughout the 1980s. Its productions included new plays, satiric agitprop, rock and roll events, and a series of successful improvisational comedy revues. The PTC, whose motto was “Art is Good”, is notable for the fact that the entire cast of its 1982 improvisational comedy revue, “The Golden 50th Anniversary Jubilee” (Brad Hall, Seinfeld star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Gary...
Dates: 1979 - 2011; Other: Majority of material found within 1979 - 1989; Other: Date acquired: 04/09/2012
Abstract Claudia Webster Robinson was an Instructor in Dramatic Production at Northwestern University from 1944 to 1952. During her years at Northwestern, Robinson directed many productions. She was known for her unusual and obscure choices for theatrical productions, and of their excellence. The Claudia Webster Robinson papers are housed in three boxes and date from 1939 to 1987. The papers are comprised of class notes, syllabi, exams, and student papers. Scripts, notes, and sheet music from...
Abstract This series is comprised of the administrative records of the Theatre Department of Northwestern University's School of Speech. The series, mainly comprised of departmental correspondence and a few subject files, spans the years from 1950 through 1977.
Abstract Teacher, critic, and parodist Walter B. Scott taught Dramatic Literature in Northwestern's School of Speech (now the School of Communication) from 1939-1976. His Papers document his life, teaching career, and writings. A highlight of the collection is Scott's engagement with a vibrant group of colleagues.
Abstract This series, filling one box and spanning the years 1974-1977, consists of the records of the “Shakespeare and the Public” Conference, including correspondence, transcriptions of speeches, reports, printed Conference materials, news clippings, and financial records. The records document Conference planning, programming, expenses, and publicity. Also included are records pertaining to the concluding banquet, a reception given by the Oxford University Press in honor of Samuel Schoenbaum,...
Abstract The Anne H. Thurman taught in the Evanston, Illinois public schools. She served on the faculty of New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois. Thurman took an active and varied role over many years in the promotion of drama in Evanston schools and in the Children's Theatre of Evanston. Thurman lectured part-time at Northwestern in 1968–1969 and joined the regular faculty in 1971 as an associate professor of dramatic production. She attained the rank of professor in 1975. The Anne H. Thurman...
Abstract This series is comprised of photographs from University Theatre productions from the period 1928-2003. Formats include negatives (bxes 1-6), prints (bxes 7-12), oversize prints (bxes 13-15), and slides (bxes 16-27).
Abstract This series comprises University Theatre production reports prepared by various production crew heads. The production reports for productions staged between 1934 and 1955 include such information as names of crew members, set and prop renderings, ground plans, reports of hours worked by student crew members and their grade evaluations. Reports without production numbers appended are interfiled chronologically within the series. These records correspond to the University Theatre Prompt Books...
Abstract The prompt books for theatrical productions of Northwestern University's School of Speech include scripts for University Theatre productions, annotated for use by the prompter, along with sketches of the staging and other notes. Bound prompt books include most of the productions from number 50 (1933) through number 320 (1957).
Abstract The University Theatre Program collection consists of newspaper clippings, press releases, ticket stubs, flyers, schedules, and programs for productions by Northwestern University or at its Theatre and Interpretation Center.
Dates: 1925 - 2015
Abstract Louann K. Hurter attended Northwestern University where she took a bachelor of science degree in 1949 and a master of arts degree in 1951; both degrees were in Speech. The Louann Hurter Van Zelst papers fill one box and are comprised mainly of course materials relating to her studies in dramatic production at Northwestern.
Dates: 1945-1982, and undated
Abstract Donald and Vera Ward were married graduates of Northwestern University with influential careers in the middle of the 20th century in Chicago-based radio, television, theatre, and the ministry. Donald’s successful and varied career spanned radio and television, Christian ministry, and higher education. Although her husband left the world of performing arts to become a Congregational pastor in 1959, the stage and screen remained Vera’s life’s work: she appeared in several acclaimed plays and...
Abstract Winifred Louise Ward began her studies as an undergraduate student at Northwestern University's Cumnock School of Oratory. After two years of directing plays and declamation contests, and teaching grade school she attended the University of Chicago. She received her Ph.D. in education in 1918. Soon after, Ward was asked to teach at Northwestern University's School of Oratory and that year began as an instructor and assistant professor, a career which was to last until her retirement in 1950....
- Subject: Theater X
- Northwestern University Archives 35
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 5
- Theater--Study and teaching 15
- Evanston (Ill.) 9
- College theater 8
- Theater--Production and direction 7
- Theater 5
- Children's theater 3
- Musical theater 3
- Actresses 2
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- College theater--Photographs 2
- Improvisation (Acting) 2
- Theater--Production and direction--Study and teaching 2
- Theatrical companies 2
- Acting--Study and teaching 1
- Burlesque (Theater) 1
- Clergy 1
- College musicals 1
- Congregational churches--Clergy 1
- Costume 1
- Costume designers 1
- Dancers 1
- Drama--Study and teaching 1
- Dublin (Ireland) 1
- English drama--Early modern and Elizabethan, 1500-1600--History and criticism--Congresses 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- Improvisation (Acting)--Study and teaching 1
- Journalism 1
- Mime--Study and teaching 1
- Mimes 1
- Models (Persons) 1
- Motion picture art directors 1
- Music--Societies, etc. 1
- Opera 1
- Opera companies 1
- Operetta--United States--20th century 1
- Oral interpretation--Study and teaching 1
- Singers 1
- Speech--Societies, etc. 1
- Speech--Study and teaching 1
- Television scripts 1
- Television--Production and direction 1
- Theater critics 1
- Theater--England--History--16th century--Congresses 1
- Theater--England--History--17th century--Congresses 1
- Theater--Societies, etc. 1
- Theatrical producers and directors 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 10
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 9
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 3
- Children's Theatre of Evanston 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Interpretation 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Waa-Mu Show 2
- Ahmad, Maher 1
- Asolo Theater (Sarasota, Fla.) 1
- Barrosse, Paul, 1958- 1
- Bergen, Edgar, 1903-1978 1
- Beyer, Bud 1
- Breen, Gertrude, 1911-1992 1
- Breen, Robert S. 1
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 1
- Circle Repertory Company 1
- Circle Theatre Company (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Coakley, James Francis, 1933-2014 1
- Crowley, Edward J. (Edward Joseph), 1906-1984 1
- Daily news (New York, N.Y. : 1920) 1
- Dennis, Ralph B. (Ralph Brownell), 1876-1942 1
- DuVivier, David, 1911-1994 1
- Dublin Gate Theatre 1
- Dussault, Nancy 1
- Edwards, Hilton, 1903-1982 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Galati, Frank 1
- Godfrey, E. Drexel (Edwin Drexel), 1921-1981 1
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Graff, Gerald 1
- Harnick, Sheldon 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heston, Lilla, 1927-1984 1
- Horton, Donald H., 1908-1992 1
- Johnson, Virgil C. 1
- Kissel, Howard 1
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 1
- Larson, Mark (Mark Allen) 1
- Lee, Charlotte I. 1
- Levin, Ira, 1929-2007 1
- Levin, Ira, 1929-2007. General Seeger 1
- Light Opera Works (Theater company) 1
- Mac Liammóir, Micheál, 1899-1978 1
- Machan, Katharyn Howd, 1952- 1
- Mason, Marshall W. 1
- Mearns, Hughes, 1875-1965 1
- Miller, Joseph Willard, 1906-1979 1
- Mitchell, Lee, 1906-1988 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Theatre and Interpretation Center 1
- O'Neill, Lynne, 1918-2010 1
- Phi Beta. Alpha Chapter (Northwestern University) 1
- Piven Theatre Workshop 1
- Practical Theatre Company 1
- Robinson, Claudia Webster 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Scott, Elizabeth Franklin, 1906-2002 1
- Scott, George C., 1927-1999 1
- Scott, W. B. (Walter Bernard), 1906-1980 1
- Second City (Theater company) 1
- Shakespeare and the Public Conference (1975 : Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 1
- Sills, Aretha Amelia 1
- Sills, Paul, 1927-2008 1
- Speech Communication Association. Interpretation Division 1
- Spolin, Viola 1
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company 1
- Theatre 65 1
- Thurman, Anne H. 1
- Van Zelst, Louann 1
- Ward, Donald B., 1919-1994 1
- Ward, Vera Bantz, 1922-2014 1
- Ward, Winifred, 1884-1975 1 ∧ less