Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
Abstract The 12th General Hospital Collection is comprised of the papers of Michael L. Mason, James A. Conner, and Paul Raber who served as part of Northwestern University's 12th General Hospital Unit stationed in North Africa and Italy during World War II.
Dates: 1916 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1942 - 1945
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract This collection contains materials from three sources: the America First Committee, other American groups with similar goals, and German propaganda in the 1930s. Materials include pamphlets, small monographs, serials, correspondence, flyers, posters, political ephemera, and photographs. These items are a sample of the kinds of material generated before U.S. entry into World War II. Taken individually, the items in this collection provide only a fragmentary record of the times; considered as a...
Abstract In September 1940, Dr. Friedrich Ernst Auhagen was arrested and called to testify before the Dies Commission in October regarding possible subversive Nazi activities. He was released, but kept under Justice Department surveillance until March 1941 when a federal grand jury issued an indictment against him for failing to register as a German agent. The articles, newspaper clippings and correspondence in the Friedrich Ernst Auhagen Collection were collected between 1939 and 1952 by Henry Pope, a...
Abstract Emily Boettcher Bogue earned Bachelor and Master degrees in music from Northwestern University before returning as a music instructor from 1930 to 1939, after which she married and moved to England. The Emily Boettcher Bogue Papers fill eleven boxes and span the years 1907 through 1996, with the bulk of the material dating between 1936 and 1954. Included are biographical materials; concert programs; scrapbooks; diaries and notebooks; correspondence; and teaching and professional materials.
Abstract The Dyess Series contains correspondence, rewrites, galley proofs, teletype copy and photographs related to "The Dyess Story", a series of 25 articles syndicated by the Chicago Tribune-New York News Syndicate in 1944. This series described Lt Col. William Edwin Dyess' experiences during World War II (as told to Tribune writer Charles Leavelle), including his capture after the Battle of Bataan, his experiences as a prisoner of war, his escape, and...
Dates: 1943 - 1944
Abstract The Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies was formed in 1940 to encourage American interest in aiding Great Britain, and ultimately in entering the war in Europe and defeating the Axis powers. The material collected here is only a fraction of the propaganda which was circulated. Included as well is some material by other similar groups active between 1940 and 1942. These materials were donated to the McCormick Library in 1980 by Northwestern University Archives who received them as...
Dates: 1940-1942; Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1979
Abstract Addison Hibbard served as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts from 1930-1945 after holding the same position at the University of North Carolina. These records comprise the administrative files of Addison Hibbard, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, largely spanning the period 1943-1946; they also include a small amount of material from the period 1935-1942. The records include correspondence, memoranda, recommendations, surveys, budgets, reports and course descriptions. They concern College...
Abstract This collection consists of over 180 black and white photographs and photoduplications of printed images, used for newspaper publication. Arranged in two series, the first contains images related to Jewish life in Europe and the United States, and especially images from the Holocaust; the second primarily covers events surrounding the foundation of the Israeli state.
Dates: 1924 - 1959; Other: Majority of material found within 1945 - 1948; Other: Date acquired: 01/07/2002
Abstract American journalist Eric R. Lund was born to Swedish immigrants on November 1, 1925 in Chicago, Illinois. Lund attended Northwestern University 1942-1949 (B.S. in journalism). Lund worked primarily at the Evanston review and Chicago daily news. After the latter paper ceased publication, Lund undertook a number of research and editing projects. The Eric R. Lund papers cover Lund’s ancestry and life, including both his professional...
Dates: 1900 - 2006
Abstract The Naval V-12 Program was established by the War Department on university campuses during World War II to provide the Navy with a continuous supply of officers. Northwestern University's V-12 unit was formed in July, 1943. The records of the V-12 program consist of Regulation and Organization manuals, lists of faculty and their teaching loads, administrative correspondence, clippings, and various class lists and course descriptions.
Abstract The Northwestern University Law School Newsletter was first published during the First World War and sent to students and alumni in the military. With the advent of the Second World War, the newsletter was resurrected and sent to hundreds of Northwestern Law School alumni and students serving in the military. In addition to the newsletters, the Northwestern University Law School Newsletter Records include correspondence between the editor of the newsletter and U.S. servicemen during the Second...
Dates: 1917-1919; 1942-1946
Abstract The Northwestern University Midshipmen’s School Association, headed by Bob Wilch and his wife, Sandra, maintained records, produced newsletters, and arranged reunions for veterans of the Midshipmen's Training School which ran at Northwestern during World War II. Records of the Midshipmen's School Association date from 1940-2009, and include clippings, rosters, directories, and reunion information; books and memoirs; and artifacts. This collections adds to the resources in the Archives relating...
Dates: 1940-2009; Other: Date acquired: 12/06/2011
Abstract This collection of photographs depicts the history and effects of the Spanish Civil War.
Abstract U.S. Army Base Hospital No. 12 (Chicago Unit), frequently referred to as the Northwestern University Base Hospital, was organized in October 1916 to assist the Allied war effort in Europe, and revived in World War II. Records from various souurces include clippings, programs, poems, newsletters, journals, published articles, memorabilia, correspondence, photographs, and a scrapbook.
Abstract During WWII, Northwestern offered its facilities for use by the War Department. All together eleven specific training programs were operated at Northwestern in addition to the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (Naval R.O.T.C.). This series consists of three and one half-size boxes of records of the University's Naval programs which span the period from 1934-1960. The bulk of the records deal with the Technological Institute's administration of the naval programs in general, but there are...
Abstract The Records of World Wars I and II related to Northwestern University fill two archival boxes and span the years 1914 to 2005. The records are divided into WWI and WWII with the majority of the records relating to WWII. Records document both activities during the Wars and commemorative activities postwar and include information about both general programs and specific individuals.
- Subject: World War, 1939-1945 X
- Northwestern University Archives 10
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 6
- Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.--World War, 1939-1945 3
- World War, 1939-1945 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American 3
- Naval education--Illinois--Evanston 2
- World War, 1914-1918 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Education and the war 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Propaganda 2
- Air pilots, Military--Training of 1
- Englewood (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.) 1
- Fascism--United States 1
- Germans--Political activity--United States 1
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) 1
- Hospitals, Military 1
- Internment camps--Philippines 1
- Israel 1
- Israel--History--1948-1967 1
- Jewish children in the Holocaust 1
- Journalism 1
- Letters to the editor 1
- Medicine, Military 1
- Military education 1
- Neutrality--United States 1
- Pediatrics 1
- Periodicals 1
- Pianists 1
- Propaganda, American 1
- San Francisco (Calif.)--Description and travel 1
- Spain--Politics and government--1931-1939 1
- Spain--Social life and customs--20th century 1
- Surgery, Military 1
- Swedish Americans 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945 1
- War casualties 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Education and the war 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Medical care 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Veterans 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Jewish resistance 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Jews 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Medical care 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, Japanese 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Registers 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Spain 1
- World War, 1939-1945--United States 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans 1 ∧ less
- English 16
- Multiple languages 1
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 2
- United States. Navy--Officers--Training of 2
- Alumni Association of Northwestern University School of Law 1
- America First Committee 1
- Auhagen, Friedrich Ernst 1
- Boettcher, Emily, 1907-1992 1
- Chicago daily news 1
- Civilian Pilot Training Program (U.S.) 1
- Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies 1
- Conner, James A. (James Augustus), 1903-2001 1
- Dyess, Wm. E. (William Edwin), 1916-1943 1
- Evanston review 1
- First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Chicago 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Leavelle, Charles 1
- Lund, Eric R. (Eric Rudolph) 1
- Lund, Florence, -1989 1
- Lundin, Frederick, 1868-1947 1
- Mason, Michael L., 1895-1963 1
- Navy V-12 Program (U.S.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Alumni and alumnae 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Medicine 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law--Periodicals 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law. Newsletter 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Music 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 1
- Northwestern University Midshipmen's School Association 1
- Raber, Paul A. (Paul Arthur), 1914-1997 1
- United States. Army--Medical personnel 1
- United States. Army. Base Hospital No. 12 1
- United States. Army. Mediterranean Theater of Operations 1
- United States. Naval Reserve Midshipmen's School, Northwestern University 1
- United States. Navy 1
- United States. War Department 1 ∧ less