Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract Baker Brownell enjoyed a rich and varied career as a soldier, newspaper man, popular teacher and lecturer, prolific writer and minor power, and scholar concerned with the dynamics of both the "small community" and the larger "human community" of which it formed an important component. During his lifetime, much of which was spent as a member of the faculty at Northwestern, Brownell achieved a national reputation based upon both his recognized abilities as a lecturer and teacher and his...
Found in: Northwestern University Archives
Overview The Chicago Tribune is a daily newspaper based in Chicago, Illinois, founded in 1847. This miscellaneous file includes material related to George D. Houston, Max Annenberg, the 1973 acquisition by the Tribune Company of Van Nuys Publishing Co., and several other unrelated subjects.
Identifier: I - 60
Overview The Robert R. McCormick Papers consist primarily of business correspondence dating from 1927-1955. This correspondence does not relate directly to the Chicago Tribune, but includes a great deal of material on organizations related to the newspaper publishing business and various political personages and departments, freedom of the press issues and some personal and family correspondence.
Overview Col. Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955), renowned editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune since before 1925, died on April 1, 1955 in Wheaton, Illinois where his estate, Cantigny, was located. His wife Maryland Mathison Hooper McCormick had traveled abroad often with him, writing travel articles for The Tribune. As a prominent social figure, she received many letters and telegrams of condolence after his death. Those expressions of sympathy form the basis of...
Overview A file of genealogical information for Colonel R.R. McCormick, maintained by the librarians of the Chicago Tribune Library.
Overview Colonel Robert R. McCormick's personal correspondence from 1920-1955, as maintained by his secretaries.
Overview Correspondence, research notes, mpas, proofs, and reviews of McCormick's book Ulysses S. Grant (New York and London: D. Appleton-Century, Inc., 1934; also New York: Bond-Wheelwright, 1950).
- Names: McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 X
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 6
- Northwestern University Archives 1
- Community life--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Freedom of the press 1
- Journalism--Study and teaching 1
- Newspaper publishing 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns 1
- United States--Politics and government--1923-1929 1
- United States--Politics and government--1929-1933 1
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945 1
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1953 1
- United States--Politics and government--1953-1961 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Personal narratives, American 1 ∧ less