Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 21
Abstract Baker Brownell enjoyed a rich and varied career as a soldier, newspaper man, popular teacher and lecturer, prolific writer and minor power, and scholar concerned with the dynamics of both the "small community" and the larger "human community" of which it formed an important component. During his lifetime, much of which was spent as a member of the faculty at Northwestern, Brownell achieved a national reputation based upon both his recognized abilities as a lecturer and teacher and his...
Found in: Northwestern University Archives
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, progress reports, cost and shipping reports, blueprints, specifications, charts and maps, and many photographs concerning the North Shore Paper Company (the Tribune Company's second Canadian pulp and paper mill at Baie Comeau, Quebec) and the permanent planned community which grew up around it.
Dates: 1936 - 1938
Abstract This collection represents files (chiefly clippings from newspapers and magazines) created by John M. ("Jack") Flynn (Tribune writer; died 1971-12-31) to help him when preparing speeches for Colonel Robert R. McCormick, and for use in rebutting the many attacks being made on the Chicago tribune. These files also contain clippings, publications and other items related to Tribune color printing and photography; attacks on the ...
Dates: late 1930s to early 1950s
Abstract This collection consists of case files selected by the law firm of Kirkland and Ellis as being of possible historical interest. They date principally from 1920 to 1955, with a few from as early as 1907. The papers pertain to the Chicago Tribune, the Tribune Company, the Ontario Paper Company, and Robert R. McCormick. Also included is a small collection of Patterson family papers, evidently from the estate of Eleanor Medill Patterson.
Dates: 1907 - 1955
Abstract This collection contains miscellaneous material from the law firm of Kirkland & Ellis related to members of the McCormick family (Katharine Medill McCormick, Ruth ("Bazy"), McCormick Miller Tankersley, Robert R. McCormick); Cantigny; the Quebec & Ontario Transportation Company; Green Sheet Inc., the Van Nuys Publishing Co., and the New Building Corp.; Max Annenberg; George D. Houston (shares of Tribune Company stock)
Dates: 1922 - 1973
Abstract Papers of Robert R. McCormick during his terms as Chicago alderman, president of the Chicago Sanitary District, and early days as president of the Tribune Company
Dates: 1904 - 1914
Abstract Records of correspondence and transactions of the Purchasing Department of the Tribune Company in which Colonel Robert R. McCormick was directly involved
Dates: 1927 - 1955
Abstract Robert R. McCormick's correspondence with, and about, the Chicago Tribune's foreign correspondents
Dates: 1914 - 1955
Abstract The papers of Robert R. McCormick (editor and publisher of the Chicago tribune) consist primarily of business correspondence dating from 1927-1955. This correspondence does not relate directly to the Chicago Tribune, but includes a great deal of material on organizations related to the newspaper publishing business and various political personages and departments, freedom of the press issues and some personal and family...
Dates: 1927 - 1955
Abstract Col. Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955), editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune, died on April 1, 1955 in Wheaton, Illinois, where his estate, Cantigny, was located. His wife Maryland Mathison Hooper McCormick received many letters and telegrams of condolence after his death. Those expressions of sympathy form the basis of this collection.
Abstract Materials related to the estate of Robert R. McCormick.
Dates: 1953 - 1986
Abstract A file of genealogical information for Colonel Robert R. McCormick, maintained by the librarians of the Chicago Tribune Library.
Dates: 1930 - 1953
Abstract This series contains material related to two large tracts of land owned by Col. Robert R. McCormick: Cantigny Farm near Wheaton, Illinois, and the "experimental" farm on the Fox River west of Yorkville in Kendall County, Illinois. Most of this material is various maps and plans, but the series includes some related correspondence and other notes, and illustrations of a proposed remodeling of the house at Cantigny.
Dates: 1923 - 1936
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract Original typed manuscript for a Christmas songbook assembled for Colonel and Mrs. McCormick by the Chicago Tribune promotion department
Abstract Colonel Robert R. McCormick's personal correspondence primarily for the years 1920-1955, as maintained by his secretaries.
Dates: 1920 - 1955
Abstract In the first part of 1915, Robert R. McCormick and photographer Donald C. Thompson traveled to France and Russia to gather first-hand information on the war. Thompson and McCormick created approximately 200 still images (possibly more), and Thompson shot motion picture film. Thompson and McCormick appear then to have parted company: McCormick returned to the United States via Sweden and Norway, but Thompson remainded in Europe. McCormick wrote about his experiences in the book ...
Abstract Reuben D. Cahn carried on an extensive correspondence with Colonel Robert R. McCormick from the time of his joining the Chicago Tribune in 1927, until the Colonel's death in 1955.
Dates: 1927 - 1955
Abstract Robert R. McCormick's Tribune Company files contain material relating chiefly to the Chicago Tribune, its departments, employees, editors, bureaus, stockholders, policies, etc., and to a lesser extent to the Tribune Company. The distinction between the two companies was not as important during McCormick's lifetime as it later became.
Dates: 1927 - 1955
Abstract Correspondence, research notes, mapas, proofs, and reviews of McCormick's book Ulysses S. Grant (New York and London: D. Appleton-Century, Inc., 1934; also New York: Bond-Wheelwright, 1950).
Dates: 1933 - 1934
Abstract Miscellaneous papers collected by J. Howard Wood concerning the McCormick-Patterson Trust, Robert R. McCormick, the Chicago Tribune, the Tribune Company and its subsidiaries, and the Joseph P. Albright litigation.
Dates: 1950 - 1979
- Names: McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 X
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 20
- Northwestern University Archives 1
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945 2
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Politics and government -- To 1950 1
- Christmas music 1
- Community life--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Economics 1
- Finance 1
- Foreign correspondents 1
- Freedom of the press 1
- Journalism--Study and teaching 1
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (Ill.) 1
- Newspaper publishing 1
- Paper mills 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- Real property--Illinois 1
- Russia--Armed Forces 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns 1
- United States--Politics and government--1923-1929 1
- United States--Politics and government--1929-1933 1
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1953 1
- United States--Politics and government--1953-1961 1
- United States--Social conditions--20th century 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Personal narratives, American 1 ∧ less
- Tribune Company 9
- Chicago tribune 4
- Cantigny (Wheaton, Ill.) 2
- Kirkland & Ellis (Firm) 2
- McCormick family 2
- McCormick-Patterson Trust 2
- Patterson family 2
- Wood, J. Howard, 1901-1988 2
- Addams, Jane, 1860-1935 1
- Adler, Mortimer Jerome, 1902-2001 1
- Brownell, Baker, 1887-1965 1
- Cahn, Reuben D. 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952 1
- Douglas, Paul H. (Paul Howard), 1892-1976 1
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 1
- Flynn, John M., -1971 1
- Gale, Zona, 1874-1938 1
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 1
- Grigsby family 1
- Hicks, Granville, 1901-1982 1
- La Follette, Philip Fox, 1897-1965 1
- McCormick, Maryland Mathison Hooper, 1897-1985 1
- Medill School of Journalism--Faculty 1
- Medill family 1
- Monroe, Harriet, 1860-1936 1
- Ontario Paper Company 1
- Otto, Max Carl, 1876-1968 1
- Patrick family 1
- Porter family 1
- Quebec North Shore Paper Company 1
- Richberg, Donald R. (Donald Randall), 1881-1960 1
- Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust 1
- Robert R. McCormick Foundation 1
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970 1
- Russia. Armii︠a︡ 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Sanger, Margaret, 1879-1966 1
- Santayana, George, 1863-1952 1
- Schmon, Arthur A. 1
- Simms, Ruth Hanna McCormick, 1880-1944 1
- Tallmadge, Thomas E. (Thomas Eddy), 1876-1940 1
- Thompson, Donald C., 1885-1947 1
- Van Etten family 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Westfall family 1
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975 1
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959 1 ∧ less