Showing Collections: 1 - 15 of 15
Abstract Baker Brownell enjoyed a rich and varied career as a soldier, newspaper man, popular teacher and lecturer, prolific writer and minor power, and scholar concerned with the dynamics of both the "small community" and the larger "human community" of which it formed an important component. During his lifetime, much of which was spent as a member of the faculty at Northwestern, Brownell achieved a national reputation based upon both his recognized abilities as a lecturer and teacher and his...
Found in: Northwestern University Archives
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, progress reports, cost and shipping reports, blueprints, specifications, charts and maps, and many photographs concerning the North Shore Paper Company (the Tribune Company's second Canadian pulp and paper mill at Baie Comeau, Quebec) and the permanent planned community which grew up around it.
Dates: 1936 - 1938
Abstract This collection contains miscellaneous material from the law firm of Kirkland & Ellis related to members of the McCormick family (Katherine Medill McCormick, Ruth ("Bazy"), McCormick Miller Tankersley, Robert R. McCormick); Cantigny; the Quebec & Ontario Transportation Company; Green Sheet Inc., the Van Nuys Publishing Co., and the New Building Corp.; Max Annenberg; George D. Houston (shares of Tribune Company stock)
Dates: 1922 - 1973
Abstract This collection consists of case files selected by the law firm of Kirkland and Ellis as being of possible historical interest. They date principally from 1920 to 1955, with a few from as early as 1907. The papers pertain to the Chicago Tribune, the Tribune Company, the Ontario Paper Company, and Robert R. McCormick. Also included is a small collection of Patterson family papers, evidently from the estate of Eleanor Medill Patterson.
Dates: 1907 - 1955
Abstract Robert R. McCormick's correspondence with, and about, the Chicago Tribune's foreign correspondents
Dates: 1914 - 1955
Abstract The Robert R. McCormick Papers consist primarily of business correspondence dating from 1927-1955. This correspondence does not relate directly to the Chicago Tribune, but includes a great deal of material on organizations related to the newspaper publishing business and various political personages and departments, freedom of the press issues and some personal and family correspondence.
Abstract Col. Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955), editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune, died on April 1, 1955 in Wheaton, Illinois, where his estate, Cantigny, was located. His wife Maryland Mathison Hooper McCormick received many letters and telegrams of condolence after his death. Those expressions of sympathy form the basis of this collection.
Abstract Materials related to the estate of Robert R. McCormick.
Dates: 1953 - 1986
Abstract A file of genealogical information for Colonel Robert R. McCormick, maintained by the librarians of the Chicago Tribune Library.
Dates: 1930 - 1953
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract Original typed manuscript for a Christmas songbook assembled for Colonel and Mrs. McCormick by the Chicago Tribune promotion department
Abstract Robert R. McCormick's Memoirs are a collection of radio broadcasts which he made from time to time in 1952, 1953 and 1954 over WGN and the Mutual Broadcasting System. The talks deal with his life and career, and reflect his grasp of events and history of the period, the development of the Chicago Tribune, and his own background and family history.
Abstract Colonel Robert R. McCormick's personal correspondence primarily for the years 1920-1955, as maintained by his secretaries.
Dates: 1920 - 1955
Abstract Correspondence, research notes, mapas, proofs, and reviews of McCormick's book Ulysses S. Grant (New York and London: D. Appleton-Century, Inc., 1934; also New York: Bond-Wheelwright, 1950).
Dates: 1933 - 1934
Abstract Papers related to J. Howard Wood's activities as an officer of the Tribune Company
Dates: 1947 - 1966
Abstract Miscellaneous papers collected by J. Howard Wood concerning the McCormick-Patterson Trust, Robert R. McCormick, the Chicago Tribune, the Tribune Company and its subsidiaries, and the Joseph P. Albright litigation.
Dates: 1950 - 1979
- Names: McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 X
- /repositories/7 14
- /repositories/6 1
- Chicago tribune 3
- Christmas music 1
- Community life--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Foreign correspondents 1
- Freedom of the press 1
- Journalism--Study and teaching 1
- Newspaper publishing 1
- Paper mills 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns 1
- United States--Politics and government--1923-1929 1
- United States--Politics and government--1929-1933 1
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945 1
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1953 1
- United States--Politics and government--1953-1961 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Personal narratives, American 1 ∧ less
- Tribune Company 6
- Kirkland & Ellis (Firm) 2
- McCormick family 2
- McCormick-Patterson Trust 2
- Patterson family 2
- Wood, J. Howard, 1901-1988 2
- Addams, Jane, 1860-1935 1
- Adler, Mortimer Jerome, 1902-2001 1
- Brownell, Baker, 1887-1965 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952 1
- Douglas, Paul H. (Paul Howard), 1892-1976 1
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 1
- Gale, Zona, 1874-1938 1
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 1
- Grigsby family 1
- Hicks, Granville, 1901-1982 1
- La Follette, Philip Fox, 1897-1965 1
- McCormick, Maryland Mathison Hooper, 1897-1985 1
- Medill School of Journalism--Faculty 1
- Medill family 1
- Monroe, Harriet, 1860-1936 1
- Ontario Paper Company 1
- Otto, Max Carl, 1876-1968 1
- Patrick family 1
- Porter family 1
- Quebec North Shore Paper Company 1
- Richberg, Donald R. (Donald Randall), 1881-1960 1
- Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust 1
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Sanger, Margaret, 1879-1966 1
- Santayana, George, 1863-1952 1
- Schmon, Arthur A. 1
- Simms, Ruth Hanna McCormick, 1880-1944 1
- Tallmadge, Thomas E. (Thomas Eddy), 1876-1940 1
- Van Etten family 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Westfall family 1
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975 1
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959 1 ∧ less