Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Abstract The Benjamin Baldwin Papers, spanning the period 1956 to 1984, are arranged in two subseries: correspondence, and teaching files. These are Baldwin's personal papers, documenting his career as a teacher at Northwestern University. Records relating to his involvement in the journalism section of the National High School Institute as well as the administrative records of the Medill School's Editorial Department have been separated and treated as distinct collections.
Abstract Baker Brownell enjoyed a rich and varied career as a soldier, newspaper man, popular teacher and lecturer, prolific writer and minor power, and scholar concerned with the dynamics of both the "small community" and the larger "human community" of which it formed an important component. During his lifetime, much of which was spent as a member of the faculty at Northwestern, Brownell achieved a national reputation based upon both his recognized abilities as a lecturer and teacher and his...
Abstract Franklin B. Evans taught at the University of Chicago and the University of Hawaii before coming to Northwestern in 1969 as professor of advertising in the Medill School of Journalism. Evans' most important research dealt with consumers' choices of automobiles, which had been the subject of his doctoral dissertation. The Frank B. Evans Papers occupy four boxes and span the period 1957-1990. Most of the material falls within the period of 1957 to 1975. The papers are organized in three main...
Dates: 1957 - 1990; Other: Majority of material found within 1957 - 1975
Abstract In 1969, David Gordon joined the faculty of the Medill School of Journalism as an Associate Professor. He taught courses in The Press and Society, News Media and Society, Government and the Press, Law of Journalism, and Reporting Public Affairs. He has published articles in various journals including the Columbia Journal and the NU Report. The David Gordon Papers are arranged in three categories: correspondence and related materials pertaining to the Medill School of Journalism; teaching...
Abstract The Harry F. Harrington Papers fill three boxes and are arranged in five subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, teaching files, speeches, and publications. There are as well a few files relating to Harrington's college education. The biographical materials include a number of newspaper clippings, five of which report on the aborted program in journalism at Western Reserve University. Many others deal with Harrington's appointment at Medill and...
Abstract Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Michael C. Janeway served as professor of Journalism and dean of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University from 1989-1997. This series consists of biographical material, correspondence, publications and other documents relating mostly to Janeway’s time at Northwestern.
Dates: 1970-1999; Other: Date acquired: 01/03/2004
Abstract During his more than 35 years at Northwestern University, Curtis MacDougall--"Dr. Mac" to his students--emerged as one of America’s leading journalism experts and educators. The Curtis MacDougall Papers fill one and one-half boxes and span the years 1940 to 1992. Class handouts and syllabi comprise the bulk of the material, although there is a considerable amount of material pertaining to MacDougall's political campaigns. The papers also include a few samples of MacDougall's writings. The...
Abstract The John Bartlow Martin Papers fill two boxes and span the period 1960-1987. Most of the Papers are in the teaching files with small amounts of biographical materials, correspondence, administration files, and publications. He worked as a freelance writer as well as serving as a special envoy and as a U.S. Ambassador to Dominican Republic. He was a staff member for Adlai Stevenson, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Hubert H. Humphrey. After teaching at Wesleyan, Princeton, and the City...
Dates: 1960 - 1987; Other: Majority of material found within 1971 - 1978
Abstract Chicago journalist and author Robert (Bob) McClory wrote about race, class, and religion after graduating from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism in 1971, where he later taught. His Papers (1970-2014) include biographical materials, teaching notes, research notes, and drafts of articles, as well as many of McClory's published articles from periodicals and newspapers.
Dates: 1970-2015; Other: Date acquired: 06/11/2015
Abstract The minutes of the factulty of Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism date from 1940 to 2004. Included in the series are minutes from full and teaching faculty meetings as well as from subunits of the faculty including the Medill Council on Undergraduate Studies, the Curriculum Committee, and the Ad Hoc Bylaws Committee.
Abstract Baskett P. Mosse was a professor of broadcasting in the Medill School of Journalism from 1946 until his retirement in 1982. The Baskett P. Mosse Papers are comprised of one folder of biographical material, one folder of correspondence, materials from classes Mosse taught, lecture notes, and one publication, “Radio News Handbook”, written by Mosse in 1946.
- Names: Medill School of Journalism--Faculty X
- Journalism--Study and teaching 7
- Journalists 5
- Advertising--Study and teaching 1
- Authors, American--20th century 1
- Community life--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Addams, Jane, 1860-1935 1
- Adler, Mortimer Jerome, 1902-2001 1
- Baldwin, Ben H. (Benjamin Harrison), 1919-2005 1
- Brownell, Baker, 1887-1965 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952 1
- Douglas, Paul H. (Paul Howard), 1892-1976 1
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 1
- Evans, Franklin B., 1922-2006 1
- Gale, Zona, 1874-1938 1
- Gordon, David, 1935- 1
- Harrington, H. F. (Harry Franklin), 1882-1935 1
- Hicks, Granville, 1901-1982 1
- Janeway, Michael, 1940-2014 1
- La Follette, Philip Fox, 1897-1965 1
- MacDougall, Curtis Daniel, 1903-1985 1
- Martin, John Bartlow, 1915-1987 1
- McClory, Robert, 1932-2015 1
- McCormick, Robert R. (Robert Rutherford), 1880-1955 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Medill School of Journalism--Administration 1
- Monroe, Harriet, 1860-1936 1
- Mosse, Baskett, 1917-1983 1
- Otto, Max Carl, 1876-1968 1
- Richberg, Donald R. (Donald Randall), 1881-1960 1
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Sanger, Margaret, 1879-1966 1
- Santayana, George, 1863-1952 1
- Simms, Ruth Hanna McCormick, 1880-1944 1
- Tallmadge, Thomas E. (Thomas Eddy), 1876-1940 1
- United States. Federal Bureau of Investigation 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975 1
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959 1 ∧ less