Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 35
Abstract The Douglas Cole papers fill nine boxes and span the years 1960 to 1997. They contain biographical materials, materials relating to Cole's involvement with Northwestern University, publications and addresses, and teaching files. Materials relating to Cole's Northwestern University involvement include files on the Comparative Literature Committee, the Dean's Advisory Board on Tenure and Promotions, the Drama Program, and the English Department.
Abstract The George Oliver Curme Papers consist entirely of a small amount of biographical material and the manuscript for A Grammar of the English Language. Included with the biographical material are newspaper clippings, press releases, and obituaries.
Abstract The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
Abstract Richard Ellmann, an internationally-known scholar, author and editor, and an authority on James Joyce and W. B. Yeats, was a member of Northwestern University's Department of English faculty from 1951 to 1968. This sparse collection of his miscellaneous papers is contained in one box. It consists of biographical material obtained from Northwestern University official records, newspaper accounts and clippings, and publishers' publicity from 1951 to 1987. There are programs of many conferences in...
Abstract This series, arranged in nine boxes, spans the years from 1945 through 1982. The series is divided into four subseries: departmental correspondence; budget records; general files; and assistantship, fellowship, and scholarship files. The departmental correspondence dates between 1961 and 1982. The departmental correspondence is largely administrative in nature. The budget records span the period 1962-1970. These records deal almost exclusively with departmental salary and budget planning...
Abstract This series contains The College Of Arts And Sciences, English Department General Files from 1930 - 1964.
Abstract This series, filling five boxes, contains course material files used in Northwestern University's English Department, 1964-1985. The materials mostly consist of exams, reading lists, and syllabi, but they also include materials related to freshman seminars, introductory studies, and miscellaneous courses.
Abstract This series comprises the departmental notices of the English department. Issued for general departmental circulation, the notices cover a broad range of topics although most pertain to professorial staff meetings, sponsored lectures, and faculty appointments. Most of these notices were issued by the chairman of the English department.
Abstract This series, is comprised of English department faculty personnel records dating from 1934 through 1981. Tenured and non-tenured faculty, visiting professors and part-time instructors are represented. Typically found within folders are: copies of letters of appointment; salary notifications; some teaching and curricular materials; letters of recommendation; placement materials; and correspondence pertaining to leaves of absence, sabbaticals, grants, research, teaching, and related matters.
Abstract This series is comprised of English Department doctoral qualifying examinations from the period 1956-1977. Most of the examinations date between 1974 and 1977 and typically include both examination questions and candidates' written responses. Completing the series is one folder of examination questions from the period 1956-1964.
Dates: 1956-1977, and undated; Other: Majority of material found within 1974 - 1977
Abstract This series fills ten and one-half boxes and includes English departmental files on individual graduate students from the period 1930-1965. Candidates for both doctoral and master of arts degrees as well as graduated and non-graduated students are represented in the files. The files are arranged alphabetically according to student surname. Typically found in most files are: applications for admission to graduate study and to degree candidacy, undergraduate and graduate transcripts,...
Abstract English department records pertaining to graduate students not completing degrees comprise this series. See access restrictions for this collection.
Abstract This series, comprising two and one-half boxes which span the years from 1971-1979, includes English departmental files on individual recipients of the Master of Arts degree. The files, arranged alphabetically according to student surname, typically include: applications for admission to graduate study, transcripts documenting undergraduate and graduate coursework, correspondence pertaining to degree candidacy and examination scheduling, letters of recommendation, faculty evaluations of...
Abstract The English Department's records of undergraduate majors fill four boxes and span the years 1981-1989. Some or all of the following items are included in each file: transcripts, grade reports, graduation petitions, correspondence, and lists of unfulfilled major requirements.
Abstract Bergen Evans joined the faculty of Northwestern University in the department of English in 1932. He was an incredibly popular instructor, and remained at Northwestern until his retirement in 1974. The Bergen Evans Papers, comprising 83 boxes and spanning the period 1921–1978, includes biographical materials, educational materials, correspondence, teaching materials, research and consulting files, addresses, television and radio program files, and publications.
Abstract The Lawrence Evans Papers fill twenty-two boxes and span the years 1956 to 1999. The papers consist of Evans' notes from Harvard classes, correspondence relating to Northwestern, teaching files, correspondence with and about students, graduate student files, biographical information, committee and professional association records, course files, and publication files. The bulk of the papers document Evans' 40 year teaching career as professor of English at Northwestern University.
Abstract The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
Abstract The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Abstract Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
Abstract The Harrison Hayford papers fill seventy-two boxes, spanning the years 1916 to 2002. The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence files, Northwestern University teaching files, Northwestern University student files and, most significantly, the Herman Melville Editing Project files.
Dates: 1916-2002; Agreement Received: 2001-01-07
- Names: Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English X
- English literature--Study and teaching 19
- English language--Study and teaching 7
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question (Television program) 1
- African literature--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Doctoral students--Examinations 1
- Down You Go (Television program) 1
- English language--Grammar 1
- English literature--History and criticism 1
- Inuit poetry--Translations into English 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Journalists 1
- Lawyers 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Poets, English--20th century 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 18
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 3
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 2
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cole, Douglas 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- Curme, George O. (George Oliver), 1860-1948 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Evans, Lawrence (Lawrence Gove), 1935-2011 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heltzel, Virgil B. (Virgil Barney), 1896-1976 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Lowenstein, Tom 1
- MacMinn, Ney 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Prior, Moody E. (Moody Erasmus), 1901-1996 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932-2021 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Shanley, J. Lyndon (James Lyndon), 1910-1996 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 ∧ less