Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 40
Abstract The series consists letters from former Northwestern students answering an ad placed by Professor Harold Williamson of the N.U. History Project in the 1975 Spring issue of the Northwestern Alumni News, describing memories of favorite professors. The response to “Professors I'll Never Forget” was overwhelming, with people writing letters not only about one favorite professor but two, three, and sometimes four or five. Since the response to Professor Williamson's published...
Abstract Albert R. Crews chaired Northwestern University's new Radio department from 1938-1943, teaching radio acting and writing. This series contains biographical material and published writings documenting Crews' education, teaching, and later career.
Scope and Contents The Myron Bender Papers include biographical information from Northwestern University, correspondence regarding nominations and inductions to the National Academy of Sciences, and manuscript materials and correspondence regarding published works.Of note are the letters between Bender and his publishers, colleagues, and peers, as well as containing numerous copies of his various works. Most of the articles here are published in journals for the National Academy of Sciences, the...
Abstract The Charles S. Braden papers fill fourteen boxes and are arranged in three main subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, and publications. Also included is a small amount of material pertaining to speeches and other addresses given by Braden. Correspondence, forming the bulk of the series, pertains largely to Braden's teaching and writing, to his talks before lay and church groups, and to personal matters. The Bradens were a close-knit family and many letters found here are between...
Abstract Professor Robert S. Breen joined the faculty of the Northwestern University in 1947. Professor Breen’s distinguished academic career included his originating and refining the concept of Chamber Theatre. Chamber Theatre, now widely known and used, permitted the dramatic presentation of fiction and non-fiction without the artificial elimination of the narrator which more traditional dramatizations required. Readers' Theatre, the ensemble presentation of dramatic literature, were also a research...
Abstract In 1945 Russell Cansler joined the faculty of the Northwestern University School of Commerce Secretarial Sciences Department. He served from 1945 to 1951 as Assistant Professor, and from 1951 to 1953 as Associate Professor. In 1961 he organized the School of Business Office of Placement and was the Director of that office until he retired.The Russell N. Cansler Papers, filling two boxes, are arranged into five groups: biographical material; general correspondence; speeches, speech materials and...
Abstract The Helen M. Clark papers fill four boxes including one half-size box, and date between 1958 and 1972. The papers are divided into three categories. The first category is Helen Clark's biographical file which includes an obituary and vitas outlining her academic record. The second is comprised of correspondence. The general correspondence includes incoming letters and copies of outgoing letters on a variety of topics. Subject correspondence files include letters pertaining to specific topics...
Abstract Cox taught History at Northwestern from 1919 until his retirement in 1941. The Isaac Joslin Cox Papers are arranged in seven main categories, plus two additions to the series. These categories are: biographical and miscellaneous materials; Aaron Burr Material; James P. Wilkinson Material; Harry Innes Material; West Florida Material; William Shaler Material; John Breckenridge Material. Most of the materials are copies of documents from other repositories that Cox used in his research.
Abstract The William Crotty Papers span the years 1967-1995, with the bulk of the materials dating between 1967 and 1980 and consisting of teaching files for his courses in Political Science from 1967 to 1978. Biographical and correspondence files are also included.
Overview The George Oliver Curme Papers consist entirely of a small amount of biographical material and the manuscript for A Grammar of the English Language. Included with the biographical material are newspaper clippings, press releases, and obituaries.
Abstract DeCoster taught Spanish at Northwestern University for 16 years. He was the author of 11 books and 35 scholarly articles. DeCoster's research focused on 19th century Spanish literature. The Cyrus C. DeCoster Papers fill one box and span the years 1948-1999. The material summarizes Professor DeCoster's academic work, and is divided into six subseries: biographical material, published articles, book reviews, reviews of books, “Pardo Bazán” drafts, and Juan Valera research...
Abstract Kellogg Graduate School of Management professor Donald Haider ran for mayor of the City of Chicago in 1987. Papers include biographical materials, academic publications, and (the bulk of the collection) material relating to Haider's mayoral campaign.
Abstract In 1935 Endicott joined the faculty of Northwestern University. He served successively as instructor in Education, 1935-37; assistant professor of Education, 1937-48; associate professor of Education, 1948-61; and professor of Education, 1961-72. Endicott was noted especially for the “Endicott Report” (Annual Survey of Jobs for College Graduates), which he prepared for Northwestern University from 1945 to 1977. The “Endicott Report” is a widely quoted forecast of hiring...
Abstract The series consists of records of the publications of Northwestern University faculty members, from the University's founding until approximately 1976. The records are in the form of photocopies of catalog cards from the University Library.
Abstract The Grundy Steiner (1916-2004) Papers, 1937-2004 consist largely of teaching files and correspondence from Professor Steiner's time teaching at Northwestern (1947-1984). The papers contain research notes for publications, classes, and lectures, as well as biographical materials like Northwestern personnel records and biographies.
Abstract German poet and literary critic Hans Egon Holthusen taught German Language and Literature at Northwesern from 1968-1981. His papers contain offprints, manuscripts, publications, and correspondence (copies), which Holthusen received from distinguished European authors, poets, and philosophers.
Abstract The Erich Heller Papers fill thirteen boxes and span the period 1932 to 1990. The major portion (seven boxes) consists of correspondence, most of which is comprised of letters to Heller and much is in German. The other major section, publications (almost five boxes), contains primarily drafts and reprints of articles, and book reviews by Heller and reviews of books authored by Heller. There are also small amounts of teaching files and materials relating to papers Heller presented at...
Abstract The Papers of Thomas William (also known as “T.W.” and “Bill”) Heyck document his career as educator and administrator at Northwestern from 1968-2007. A scholar of British and Irish history, he was also involved in significant campus committee work, including establishing the Residential College system and chairing the Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience.
Abstract James joined Northwestern University's faculty in 1897 as a professor of history, where he remained until retirement in 1935. James also served as the first Dean of the Graduate School at NU from 1917 – 1931. In addition to his teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels James engaged in historical investigation and writing, particularly about the revolutionary period and the Midwest. The James Alton James Papers are arranged in six main categories: biographical material; correspondence;...
Abstract Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Michael C. Janeway served as professor of Journalism and dean of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University from 1989-1997. The series consists of biographical material, correspondence, publications and other documents relating mostly to Janeway’s time at Northwestern.
- Subject: College teachers--Illinois--Evanston X
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Political Science 2
- Bender, Myron L., 1924-1988 1
- Boyce, Gray Cowan, 1899-1981 1
- Brace, Richard M. (Richard Munthe), 1915-1977 1
- Braden, Charles Samuel, 1887-1970 1
- Breen, Gertrude, 1911-1992 1
- Breen, Robert S. 1
- Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836 1
- Cansler, Russell N., 1909-1995 1
- Clark, Helen M. (Helen Mary), 1908-1974 1
- Cox, Isaac Joslin, 1873-1956 1
- Crews, Albert R. 1
- Crotty, William J. 1
- Curme, George O. (George Oliver), 1860-1948 1
- DeCoster, Cyrus Cole, 1914-1999 1
- DuVivier, David, 1911-1994 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Endicott, Frank S. 1
- Graff, Gerald 1
- Haider, Donald H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heller, Erich, 1911-1990 1
- Heyck, Thomas William, 1938-2014 1
- Holthusen, Hans Egon, 1913-1997 1
- Hurwitz, Emanuel, 1919-2006 1
- James, James Alton, 1864-1962 1
- Janeway, Michael, 1940-2014 1
- Japan International Christian University 1
- Klotz, Irving M. (Irving Myron), 1916-2005 1
- Lambert, Joseph B. 1
- Lee, Oliver Justin, 1881-1964 1
- Leslie, John Kenneth, 1907-1985 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McBurney, James H. (James Howard), 1905-1986 1
- McClory, Robert, 1932-2015 1
- McGovern, William Montgomery, 1897-1964 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Medill School of Journalism--Faculty 1
- Methodist Church (U.S.) 1
- Minar, David W. 1
- Mitchell, Lee, 1906-1988 1
- Moore, G. Paul 1
- Moses, Leon N., 1924-2013 1
- Moses, Rae, 1935-2013 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty--Bibliography 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Center for Metropolitan Studies 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Mathematics 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Romance Languages 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish and Portuguese 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Graduate School 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library--Catalogs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Business 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 1
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de, 1852-1921 1
- Romani, George T. (George Thomas), 1917-1977 1
- Rosenblum, Victor G. 1
- Scott, Elizabeth Franklin, 1906-2002 1
- Scott, Franklin D. (Franklin Daniel), 1901-1994 1
- Scott, W. B. (Walter Bernard), 1906-1980 1
- Shemin, David, 1911-1991 1
- Speed, Robert C. 1
- Steiner, Grundy, 1916-2004 1
- Stimson, Frederick S. (Frederick Sparks), 1919- 1
- Usdan, Michael D. 1
- Valera, Juan, 1824-1905 1
- Wilkinson, James, 1757-1825 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- World Council of Churches 1 ∧ less