Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 68
Abstract The series consists letters from former Northwestern students answering an ad placed by Professor Harold Williamson of the N.U. History Project in the 1975 Spring issue of the Northwestern Alumni News, describing memories of favorite professors. The response to “Professors I'll Never Forget” was overwhelming, with people writing letters not only about one favorite professor but two, three, and sometimes four or five. Since the response to Professor Williamson's published...
Abstract Albert R. Crews chaired Northwestern University's new Radio department from 1938-1943, teaching radio acting and writing. This series contains biographical material and published writings documenting Crews' education, teaching, and later career.
Scope and Contents The Myron Bender Papers include biographical information from Northwestern University, correspondence regarding nominations and inductions to the National Academy of Sciences, and manuscript materials and correspondence regarding published works.Of note are the letters between Bender and his publishers, colleagues, and peers, as well as containing numerous copies of his various works. Most of the articles here are published in journals for the National Academy of Sciences, the...
Abstract Gray C. Boyce taught medieval history at Northwestern University from 1946 until his retirement in the spring of 1967. He served as Department Chair, 1948-1966. The Gray Boyce Papers are held in three and a half archival boxes and divided into three subseries: Biographical, Scholarly and Correspondence. The bulk of the materials are in the Correspondence series.
Abstract The Charles S. Braden papers fill fourteen boxes and are arranged in three main subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, and publications. Also included is a small amount of material pertaining to speeches and other addresses given by Braden. Correspondence, forming the bulk of the series, pertains largely to Braden's teaching and writing, to his talks before lay and church groups, and to personal matters. The Bradens were a close-knit family and many letters found here are between...
Abstract Professor Robert S. Breen joined the faculty of the Northwestern University in 1947. Professor Breen’s distinguished academic career included his originating and refining the concept of Chamber Theatre. Chamber Theatre, now widely known and used, permitted the dramatic presentation of fiction and non-fiction without the artificial elimination of the narrator which more traditional dramatizations required. Readers' Theatre, the ensemble presentation of dramatic literature, were also a research...
Abstract In 1945 Russell Cansler joined the faculty of the Northwestern University School of Commerce Secretarial Sciences Department. He served from 1945 to 1951 as Assistant Professor, and from 1951 to 1953 as Associate Professor. In 1961 he organized the School of Business Office of Placement and was the Director of that office until he retired.The Russell N. Cansler Papers, filling two boxes, are arranged into five groups: biographical material; general correspondence; speeches, speech materials and...
Abstract In 1927 Jones became an instructor in physical education and hygiene at Northwestern teaching a variety of courses in dance and hygiene. She was promoted to assistant professor in 1931 and in 1932 became director of physical education in the College of Liberal Arts. The Agnes Jones Cashman Papers fill eighteen boxes and are organized in four main categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, and teaching files, with small amounts in five additional categories.
Overview Northwestern professor of physics Robert J. Cashman's papers fills 19 boxes and span the period 1929-1988. The papers are organized in six main categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, research and consulting files, and publications.
Abstract The Helen M. Clark papers fill four boxes including one half-size box, and date between 1958 and 1972. The papers are divided into three categories. The first category is Helen Clark's biographical file which includes an obituary and vitas outlining her academic record. The second is comprised of correspondence. The general correspondence includes incoming letters and copies of outgoing letters on a variety of topics. Subject correspondence files include letters pertaining to specific topics...
Abstract Abstract painter William Conger has had many solo and group exhibitions, has placed works in significant public, corporate, and private collections, and has taught in college art programs for 40 years, including teaching at Northwestern from 1985-2006. The Papers include correspondence, teaching materials, biographical materials, administrative records, and materials pertaining to talks and lectures.
Abstract Cox taught History at Northwestern from 1919 until his retirement in 1941. The Isaac Joslin Cox Papers are arranged in seven main categories, plus two additions to the series. These categories are: biographical and miscellaneous materials; Aaron Burr Material; James P. Wilkinson Material; Harry Innes Material; West Florida Material; William Shaler Material; John Breckenridge Material. Most of the materials are copies of documents from other repositories that Cox used in his research.
Abstract The William Crotty Papers span the years 1967-1995, with the bulk of the materials dating between 1967 and 1980 and consisting of teaching files for his courses in Political Science from 1967 to 1978. Biographical and correspondence files are also included.
Overview The George Oliver Curme Papers consist entirely of a small amount of biographical material and the manuscript for A Grammar of the English Language. Included with the biographical material are newspaper clippings, press releases, and obituaries.
Abstract Economist George Dalton's papers fill 59 boxes spanning the period 1945-1991. Most of the material dates from 1960 to 1991. The papers are organized in five main categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, and publications. Small amounts of material are arranged under the headings research files and papers presented before professional organizations. Within each category the files are arranged alphabetically by folder title unless stated otherwise.
Abstract DeCoster taught Spanish at Northwestern University for 16 years. He was the author of 11 books and 35 scholarly articles. DeCoster's research focused on 19th century Spanish literature. The Cyrus C. DeCoster Papers fill one box and span the years 1948-1999. The material summarizes Professor DeCoster's academic work, and is divided into six subseries: biographical material, published articles, book reviews, reviews of books, “Pardo Bazán” drafts, and Juan Valera research...
Abstract Kellogg Graduate School of Management professor Donald Haider ran for mayor of the City of Chicago in 1987. Papers include biographical materials, academic publications, and (the bulk of the collection) material relating to Haider's mayoral campaign.
Abstract Downs most significant contributions to the field of theatre were in his role as an acting teacher and director, both roles he played at Northwestern University from 1973 – 2007. The David Downs papers are arranged in thirty-nine boxes and span the years from1946 to 2003. They are organized into five main subseries: biographical materials, correspondence, Northwestern University, publications and professional work, and oversize materials.
Abstract The Meyer Dwass Papers fill 2 boxes and span the years 1953 to 1996. The bulk of the papers consist of his teaching and research notes as well as offprints of his journal publications; a small amount of personal material is included. The papers fall into six subseries: biographical, correspondence, university notes, teaching, research, and publications.
Abstract In 1935 Endicott joined the faculty of Northwestern University. He served successively as instructor in Education, 1935-37; assistant professor of Education, 1937-48; associate professor of Education, 1948-61; and professor of Education, 1961-72. Endicott was noted especially for the “Endicott Report” (Annual Survey of Jobs for College Graduates), which he prepared for Northwestern University from 1945 to 1977. The “Endicott Report” is a widely quoted forecast of hiring...
- Subject: College teachers--Illinois--Evanston X
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Mathematics 3
- Boyce, Gray Cowan, 1899-1981 2
- Medill School of Journalism--Faculty 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty--Societies, etc. 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Political Science 2
- Brace, Richard M. (Richard Munthe), 1915-1977 1
- Braden, Charles Samuel, 1887-1970 1
- Breen, Gertrude, 1911-1992 1
- Breen, Robert S. 1
- Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836 1
- Cansler, Russell N., 1909-1995 1
- Cashman, Robert J., 1906-1988 1
- Children's Theatre of Evanston 1
- Clark, Helen M. (Helen Mary), 1908-1974 1
- Conger, William 1
- Cox, Isaac Joslin, 1873-1956 1
- Crews, Albert R. 1
- Crotty, William J. 1
- Curme, George O. (George Oliver), 1860-1948 1
- Dalton, George 1
- DeCoster, Cyrus Cole, 1914-1999 1
- Dennis, Ralph B. (Ralph Brownell), 1876-1942 1
- Dodge, Louis Norton, 1873-1951 1
- Downs, David, 1946- 1
- DuVivier, David, 1911-1994 1
- Dwass, Meyer 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Endicott, Frank S. 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Farrell, R. Barry (Robert Barry) 1
- Fisher, Russell A. (Russell Arden), 1904-2000 1
- Gordon, David, 1935- 1
- Graff, Gerald 1
- Griffiths, Lois Wilfred, 1899-1981 1
- Haider, Donald H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heller, Erich, 1911-1990 1
- Hellinger, Ernst, 1883-1950 1
- Heyck, Thomas William, 1938-2014 1
- Holthusen, Hans Egon, 1913-1997 1
- Howerton, George 1
- Hurwitz, Emanuel, 1919-2006 1
- James, James Alton, 1864-1962 1
- Janeway, Michael, 1940-2014 1
- Japan International Christian University 1
- Jones, Agnes Elizabeth, 1901-1989 1
- Joravsky, David 1
- Klotz, Irving M. (Irving Myron), 1916-2005 1
- Krause, Alvina, -1981 1
- Lambert, Joseph B. 1
- Lee, Oliver Justin, 1881-1964 1
- Leslie, John Kenneth, 1907-1985 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McBurney, James H. (James Howard), 1905-1986 1
- McClory, Robert, 1932-2015 1
- McGovern, William Montgomery, 1897-1964 1
- Mearns, Hughes, 1875-1965 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Methodist Church (U.S.) 1
- Minar, David W. 1
- Mitchell, Lee, 1906-1988 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Moore, G. Paul 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty--Bibliography 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Center for Metropolitan Studies 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Mathematics--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Romance Languages 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Spanish and Portuguese 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). General Faculty Committee 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Graduate School 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library--Catalogs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Organization of Women Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Business--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 1
- Overbeck, C. J. (Clarence Jacob), 1901-1997 1
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de, 1852-1921 1
- Robinson, Claudia Webster 1
- Romani, George T. (George Thomas), 1917-1977 1
- Rosenblum, Victor G. 1
- Scott, Elizabeth Franklin, 1906-2002 1
- Scott, Franklin D. (Franklin Daniel), 1901-1994 1
- Scott, W. B. (Walter Bernard), 1906-1980 1
- Shemin, David, 1911-1991 1
- Speed, Robert C. 1
- Steiner, Grundy, 1916-2004 1 ∧ less