Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract A graduate of Northwestern University, Katharine Alvord returned to Northwestern as a drama teacher in 1894. The Katharine Alvord Papers, comprising one half-size box, span the years from 1880 through 1969 ; most materials date from the period 1880-1881. Included are biographical materials pertaining to Alvord and her close friend, Frederick W. Randolph; correspondence between the two in both holographic form and typescript copies; clippings of reviews and notices of performances relating to...
Abstract The Wallace Bacon Papers comprising 25 boxes are arranged in eight main subseries: biographical material, educational material, correspondence, Philippines trips, class material, research material, addresses, and writings. The Biographical material includes several curricula vitae, personal items relative to Bacon's education, career, and war service, and three short diaries. A partial list of Bacon's publications also is filed here. The Educational material consists primarily of notes from...
Abstract Teacher, critic, and parodist Walter B. Scott taught Dramatic Literature in Northwestern's School of Speech (now the School of Communication) from 1939-1976. His Papers document his life, teaching career, and writings. A highlight of the collection is Scott's engagement with a vibrant group of colleagues.
Abstract Viola Spolin has been called the "high priestess of improvisational theatre". Born in Chicago in 1906, Spolin is best known as the creator of theater games, originally created as a series of exercises to aid students in the study of drama. In 1955, Spolin conducted workshops for the Playwrights Theater Club, and later at the Compass Theater. In 1960 she began running improvisation workshops for the cast of Second City. As an outgrowth of her work with Second City, Spolin published...
- Subject: Drama--Study and teaching X
- Northwestern University Archives 3
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 1
- Alvord, Katharine Louise, 1861-1963 1
- Bacon, Wallace A., 1914-2001 1
- Compass Players (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- DuVivier, David, 1911-1994 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Graff, Gerald 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heston, Charlton 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Theatre 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Communication 1
- Randolph, Frederick W., 1860-1882 1
- Scott, Elizabeth Franklin, 1906-2002 1
- Scott, W. B. (Walter Bernard), 1906-1980 1
- Second City (Theater company) 1
- Shepherd, David, 1924-2018 1
- Sills, Paul, 1927-2008 1
- Spolin Center 1
- Spolin, Viola 1
- United States. Works Progress Administration. Recreation Division 1 ∧ less