Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract The Adelphic Society records are comprised of two volumes of secretary's minutes, one from January 19, 1877 to September 25, 1885, and the other from September 25, 1885 to March 17, 1893. Membership rolls can be found at the end of the first volume and the beginning of the second
Abstract Founded in 1855, Hinman Society was the first literary society at Northwestern University. These records consist of 2 volumes of minutes and 1 volume documenting the Society's library.
Abstract The Philomathia Society Minute Books record the minutes of this Northwestern Academy literary society from its inception on May 8, 1868, to its final meeting on May 4, 1917, with a break of over 11 years, from February 1893 to September 1904. Philomathia, meaning “love of learning,” was founded to “supplement the routine of school-work by providing an opportunity for original thinking and expression,” according to an essay in the 1907 Academy annual, The Bear (p.38). The Society met on an...
Abstract The Study Club, a women's literary circle, met weekly from 1896 - 1970 for the purpose of "study and mutual improvement." It was based in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. Each year the group selected a topic for study and each member then wrote an extended paper about a facet of the topic. At each meeting one of these papers was read to the group.
Dates: 1896 - 1970
- Subject: Literature--Societies, etc. X
- Northwestern University Archives 3
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 1
- Hyde Park (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Preparatory school students--Societies and clubs 1
- Women--Societies and clubs 1
- Adelphic Literary Society (Northwestern University) 1
- Cragg, Miriam Thomas, 1882-1977 1
- Hinman Literary Society 1
- Hinman, Clark T. (Clark Titus), 1819-1854 1
- Northwestern University Academy--Students 1