Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract On May 3, 1968 more than 100 undergraduate and graduate students occupied the Bursar's Office, in the first major sit-in experienced at Northwestern University. After the students' April 22nd list of demands were not met, they declared their intention to keep the office occupied until these demands were met. This peaceful 38-hour occupation ended with University leaders negotiating with students, and committing to enhance services and support for Black students related to admissions,...
Dates: 1968 - 2008; Other: Majority of material found within 1968
Abstract The Free Speech Movement (FSM) of Berkeley, California was a series of large and student-led protests on the University of California Berkeley campus during late 1964 and early 1965. At issue were the students’ rights to engage in on-campus political activities, and for the University to recognize more general rights to free speech and academic freedom. The collection is arranged in three categories in a total of 40 folders: (1) Serials; (2) Records, Tapes, and Photographs; and (3) Reports,...
Dates: approximately 1964
Abstract Eva Jefferson Paterson (1949- ), a graduate of Northwestern University's Weinberg College of Arts and Science class of 1971, is a civil rights attorney. Her collection spans the years 1970-2013 and contains biographical materials, correspondence, interviews, publications, and awards.
Dates: 1970 - 2017
Abstract This compilation documents student movements at Northwestern University between 1978 and 1986 which, in protest of apartheid in South Africa, called for Northwestern to divest from companies with economic ties to South Africa. The compliation consists of clippings, reports, flyers, and other documents from a variety of sources.
Dates: 1978 - 1986; Other: Majority of material found within 1978-1979, 1985-1986
Abstract The Student Protests and Strikes Collection consists of diverse materials that document political demonstrations and protests organized by students, spanning from August 1965 through October 1979. Each event included in this collection documents a segment of the history of Northwestern students' political activism.
- Subject: Student movements X
- Northwestern University Archives 4
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 1
- African American college students--Illinois--Evanston 2
- African American civil rights workers 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African American student movements 1
- Anti-apartheid movements 1
- Civil rights demonstrations--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Civil rights workers 1
- College students--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Disinvestment--South Africa 1
- Freedom of speech--United States 1
- Investments, American--South Africa 1
- Lawyers 1
- Protest movements 1
- Student strikes 1
- University investments 1
- Women college students--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 2
- Free Speech Movement (Berkeley, Calif.) 1
- Paterson, Eva 1
- University of California, Berkeley 1 ∧ less