University Circle (Northwestern University)
The University Circle was established in 1915 by Mrs. James Alton James to “…promote fellowship and to advance the interests of Northwestern University.” It was originally open to any woman who held, or whose spouse held, an official connection with the University. Later, the group extended membership to women similarly affiliated with the Garrett-Evangelical and Seabury-Western Theological Seminaries. The Circle holds regular meetings and several social functions each year. It was instrumental in the founding of the University Dames Club (1925), and has also been involved with other groups and concerns of the University and the Chicago area, including Scott Hall, the YWCA, the Community Council for International Students, and various World War II service groups.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The University Circle was established in 1915 to "promote fellowship and to advance the interests of Northwestern University" among woman who held, or whose spouse held, an official connection with the University. Records include minutes; annual reports; President's files; officers' records and reports; committee materials; special interest group materials; financial records; publicity materials; and membership cards.