Scope and Contents
Boxes 1 - 5: The Carl W. Condit Papers consist almost exclusively of manuscripts or typescripts of his publications. Also included is a copy of his unpublished PhD. dissertation; a bibliography of his publications, 1946-1977; and a small amount of material pertaining to one of his courses.
Materials relating to his published works are arranged by title in chronological order by year of their publication. Following the typescript for American Building Art: The Nineteenth Century (1960) is filed a critical report on the book by Robert Vogel of the U.S. National Museum, prior to its publication. Condit's book, The Chicago School of Architecture (1964) is a revised and enlarged version of The Rise of the Skyscraper (1952). Pages 1-32 of the typescript of The Chicago School of Architecture (1964) are missing. Both the manuscript and typescript copies of Chicago, 1910-1929 (1973) and Chicago, 1930-1970 (1974) are filed together, because in their original form they were not divided into two volumes. Pages and chapter numbers are consecutive through both volumes. In published form, volume one includes chapters 1-6 and volume two chapters 7-12.
Condit's articles are listed by title and date. For full bibliographic citations see the Bibliography in Box I Folder 3. The bibliographic information for the articles “The Pioneer Stage of Railroad Electrification” parts I and II was not available.
- From the Collection: Condit, Carl W. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored off-site and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at email@example.com or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
From the Collection: 21.00 Boxes
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Donated to the University Archives in six installments in August, October, and December, 1981 and March and October, 1982 by Carl W. Condit and accessioned as numbers 81-185, 81-205, 81-232, 82-27, 82-47, and 82-151.
Description of the addition
This addition to the Carl W. Condit Papers, consisting of six boxes, falls into four major categories: general correspondence, course files, speeches, and writings. The bulk of the chronologically arranged correspondence, which is contained in one and one-third boxes, spans the period from November, 1979 through October, 1982. 1977 and 1978 are also represented, however, by one item each. The correspondence, both incoming and outgoing, is concerned primarily with arrangements pertaining to Condit's speeches, literary reviews, and the publication of his books. A few papers related to Condit's efforts to preserve architecturally significant buildings are also included as is one small folder of expense statements. The largest portion of the Condit Papers addition consists of teaching materials. The courses taught by Condit, all offered by the Department of Art History, include three sections of the History of Building Techniques, Chicago Building, History of the City, and the History and Development of Science. The course material covers the years from 1952 to 1982 although many of the items are undated. The course folders consist of syllabi, hand-outs, topics for papers, lists of slides used in class, exams, student papers, grades, and extensive lecture notes. This material is arranged by course and, within each folder, by type of material and by date where possible. Approximately fifty percent of the lecture notes are numbered by page. The lecture material contains a number of enclosures such as diagrams, maps, tables, pictures, and magazine articles. All of the courses were presented at Northwestern University with the exception of one summer school class that was held at Harvard in 1971. Two folders contain notes for speeches given between 1952 and 1979. The topics deal primarily with the evolution of architecture although two of the lectures pertain to the electrification of the railroad. The speeches, most of which are undated, are arranged alphabetically by title. Three folders contain the handwritten manuscript of Condit's monograph, The Port of New York: A History of the Rail and Terminal System from the Grand Central Electrification to the Present which was published in December, 1981. This is the second part of a two-volume set pertaining to New York's railroad system. The manuscript, which appears to be complete, consists of a two-page preface followed by eight chapters of text. All pages are numbered consecutively. Other writings consist of unpublished book reviews and short articles plus several published articles and a pamphlet. Unpublished material is arranged by title while published material is arranged by publication date. The pamphlet pertains to a proposal to create a National Museum of the Building Arts in Washington, D.C. Condit was a member of the committee that submitted this proposal.
Martha Falen; December 7, 1982.
Conditions governing access
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US