Traffic Institute curricular and administrative records
Scope and Contents
This document group consists primarily of materials used in police training courses offered by the Traffic Institute. These include both materials provided to students, and (in some cases) materials used by instructors. This group also includes reports and other materials prepared by the Traffic Institute, and an extensive series of minutes of the meetings of the Highway Safety Committee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- 1945 - 1987
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Traffic Institute (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored off-site and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at email@example.com or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection. \n\nSome of the materials in this collection identify individual students who took courses offered by the Traffic Institute. These materials must be reviewed by staff before they can be made available to researchers.
Language of Materials
Most of the materials in this series appear to have arrived in a large number of 3-ring binders. At some point, most of the materials in binders were transferred to folders. (Some materials remained in their original binders.) The information handwritten on the tabs of these folders appears to have been intended to represent information on the spines or covers of the original binders. If the contents of a binder did not fit into a single folder, the contents were split into two or more folders, and sequential numbers added to the information on the tabs. (The number "1" is ambiguous: it might identify the first of several folders, or it might mean that this is the only folder.)
At some point the folders were placed into boxes. Multiple folders derived from a single binder were often placed in different boxes.
During processing, all of the folders containing instructional materials for individual courses were rearranged by course name and date; multiple folders for a single session were reunited. Folders containing other materials were sorted into additional broad categories.
- Courses and conferences: instructional materials (for students and instructors)for individual courses offered by the Traffic Institute
- Other course-related materials: Secondary materials related to Traffic Institute courses (scheduling, personnel, etc.)
- Other Traffic Institute materials: reports and publications prepared by the Traffic Institute, internal communications, and some materials related to individual staff members
- Other materials: materials from or about other organizations
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Duplicate materials were discarded when identified
Courses offered by the Traffic Institute are often referred to using an abbreviated form of the name. The following list gives the principal forms.
- ADM P T: Administration of Police Training
- AI: Accident Investigation
- ANAL or ANALYSIS: Analysis and Administrative Use of Police Data
- APT: Administration of Police Training LAW, or LS & ADM: Law for Supervisory and Administrative Decision-Making
- MFAI: Motor Fleet Accident Investigation
- SPP: Supervision of Police Personnel
- STEP: Selective Traffic Enforcement Program
- S/TLE: Supervision of Police Traffic Law Enforcement
- TAI: Technical Accident Investigation
- TLE:Traffic Law Enforcement
- TT/C: Traffic Template & Calculator Workshop
- UPD: Analysis and Administrative Use of Police Data
- Traffic Institute curricular and administrative records
- Gary L. Strawn
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US