Frank Andrews photograph collection
Collection of photographs, postcards, and ephemera primarily from the Frank Andrews family. The most important piece in the collection, though, comes from Edmund Andrews, Frank's father and a founding faculty member of what is now Feinberg School of Medicine: an assemblage of portrait photographs of the first faculty of the Medical Department of Lind University from 1859.
The collection mainly pertains to the Andrews family's travels in the early 20th century, as well as daily life. Frank Andrews was interested in photography and apparently developed his own photographs.
Members of the Ela family are included in the collection. The Andrews family was connected by marriage with George Ela, the first settler of Palatine and Ela Townships in Illinois, and Obediah Hulburd, the first settler of Rochester, WI.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Frank Taylor Andrews (1858-1940) was a physician and Professor of Gynecology at Northwestern University Medical School (now known as Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine). He earned a BA from Northwestern in 1881 and an MD in 1884. He was a faculty member from 1886 until his retirement in 1917. Frank was an attending gynecologist at both Mercy Hospital and Wesley Hospital. He was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and was a member of many professional organizations.
Frank Andrews came from a family with strong ties to Northwestern. His father, Edmund Andrews, was a founder of the Medical Department of Lind University, the earliest incarnation of the Feinberg School of Medicine, and practiced as Professor of Surgery at the school until his death. Frank's brother E. Wyllys Andrews was also a Professor of Surgery at Northwestern University Medical School.
Frank married Clara Gallup in 1893. She was the daughter of Dehlia Hulburd and Benjamin Ela Gallup. They had four children, Frank Jr., Howard, Robert, and Susanna.
1 Boxes (1 box, 1 oversize item.)
Language of Materials
Collection of photographs, postcards, and ephemera primarily from the Frank Andrews family, including an assemblage of portrait photoraphs of the first faculty of the Medical Department of Lind University from the 1859-60 academic year.
The collection is arranged into 3 series: Photographs, Postcards, and Ephemera, with two additional items: the Medical Department of Lind University faculty composite photograph and the glass negative of Frank Andrews. Items are arranged by location within series.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of James J. Conway, MD, Class of 1963. Conway came into the photographs in the mid- to late 20th century when his wife was involved in selling the Andrews' family home, which had been in the family for several generations.
Items are generally in good condition. Some photos are curling and all items have expected wear from age.
The composite portrait of the first faculty of the Medical Department of Lind University is undergoing conservation treatment.
- Guide to the Frank Andrews photograph collection
- Emma Florio, Katie Lattal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center Repository
320 E. Superior Ave.
Chicago IL 60611-3008 US