Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce. Curriculum Committee
Dean Ralph Heilman appointed the School of Commerce's first Committee on Curriculum in October 1921 as a standing committee. This committee was primarily responsible for bringing new course proposals for both undergraduate and graduate courses to the School of Commerce faculty for approval. It also dealt with course changes, entrance prerequisites, the academic program as a whole, and degree requirements.
In 1956, the School of Commerce changed its name to the School of Business, and the graduate division assumed the name the Graduate School of Business Administration. The undergraduate program was discontinued in 1966. In 1969, the graduate program changed its name to the Graduate School of Management; and in 1979 it became the J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
This committee has also gone through many changes over the years. In the mid-1940s, the committee appears to have disappeared altogether, and reappeared in 1948 as the General Planning Committee, under the direction of Professor Ernest Coulter Davies. This committee dealt with overall policy including curriculum, however it was still referred to as the Curriculum Committee. In the early 1950s, it was called the Planning-Curriculum Committee, or the Curriculum-Planning Committee; and in the 1960s, it was called the Curriculum-Educational Policy Committee, or the Education Program Committee. In general, however, it has always been referred to as the Curriculum Committee.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The records in this series span the period 1940-1976 and fill three and a half boxes. They consist of course proposals, syllabi, meeting agendas and minutes, interoffice memoranda, course catalog descriptions, and correspondence.