Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Political Science
Northwestern University's Political Science Department was established by vote of the faculty of the College of Liberal Arts at their meeting of March 30, 1915. In the academic year 1915–1916 the department, under the chairmanship of Norman Dwight Harris, began offering coursework leading to both an undergraduate major and minor. Prior to the department's establishment, coursework in the field, particularly relating to diplomatics and government, was offered through Northwestern's History Department.
The department grew gradually, in the size of its faculty, in the number of courses offered, and in course enrollments, through the 1920s and 1930s. It awarded its first doctoral degree in 1932. Early instruction in the department emphasized values of citizenship and offered training in political Leadership. Coursework centered on public administration, political history, and the detailed study of existing governmental structures. After World War II courses in statistics, political theory, and comparative political systems expanded the curriculum. More recent offerings have emphasized empirical theory and abstract generalizations of political activity as well as policy processes and methods of research. Teaching and research within the department have reflected these changes and now concentrate in the areas of comparative politics, international relations, community politics, law and politics, and political behavior.
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Kenneth W. Colegrove (1886-1975) Papers
William J. Crotty (1936- ) Papers
The papers of William Crotty (professor of political science, 1966-1995) span the years 1967-1995, with the bulk of the materials dating between 1967 and 1980 and consisting of teaching files for his courses in Political Science from 1967 to 1978. Biographical and correspondence files are also included.
Records of the Department of Political Science
These records of the Department of Political Science at Northwestern University, filling thirty-three boxes, span the years from 1940 through 1984 although the bulk of the materials date between the mid-1960s and late 1970s. The records are organized into three subseries: faculty and graduate student files, administrative subject files, and departmental staffing files.
R. Barry Farrell (1926-1991) Papers
Leonard P. Iaquinta (1945- ) Papers
The Iaquinta papers fill eight boxes and include materials dating from 1962 through 1966 along with some undated items. The collection relflects the curriculum offered by Northwestern during the mid-1960s. It also illustrates the workings of several student-faculty committees of that era.
William Montgomery McGovern (1897-1964) Papers
McGovern joined the political science faculty of Northwestern University in 1929, staying with the University until his retirement in 1964. The William Montgomery McGovern Papers fill five boxes and span the period 1919-1967. They are arranged in five major categories: biographical materials; professional correspondence; manuscripts and notes; class materials; and personal records.
David W. Minar (1925-1973) Papers
Roland A. Young (1910-1977) Papers
The Roland A. Young papers fill thirty-five boxes and are arranged in nine subseries: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, research files, professional organizations files, law practice files, speeches, and publications.