Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Senate
In 1928, the University moved to increase the voice of the faculty in the determination of general educational policies by replacing the University Council, originally organized in 1910, with a University Senate. The membership of this body was to be considerably more inclusive than that of the Council it replaced, for in addition to the President, the deans of all the schools, and the chairmen of all departments, it was to include all faculty members with the rank of full professor. In his report for 1927-1928, University President Walter Dill Scott expressed his belief that the Senate would represent more fairly the various faculty points of view and become as a consequence a helpful forum as well as a legislative body for educational matters. In November 1964, the University Senate voted to increase its own membership from full professors to second term associate professors to include first term associate and second term associate professors as well. In 1971, the Senate proceeded to admit first term and second term assistant professors also. This brought the total eligible members to nearly 900.
In 1968 the Senate voted to change the procedure according to which the University President and dean of faculties customarily assumed prime responsibility for preparing the agenda for University Senate meetings. Instead the Senate moved to establish the Faculty Senate Steering Committee “to serve as its instrument in scheduling meetings and preparing agenda.” Membership consisted of the chairmen of the GFC (General Faculty Committee), CEP (Committee on Educational Policies), and Faculty Planning Committee, a representative of the administration, and one faculty member elected at large by the Senate for a three-year term. (From Northwestern University, A History, 1850-1975, by Harold F. Williamson and Payson S. Wild, 1976.)
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Records of the University Senate
In 1928, the University moved to increase the voice of the faculty in the determination of general educational policies by replacing the University Council, originally organized in 1910, with a University Senate. This collection is comprised of records of notes maintained by the Senate Secretary. The folder for each year typically contains: minutes and agenda of the University Senate.