Robert Russell Bennett papers
Scope and Contents
Mostly music manuscripts of original compositions and arrangements, the collection also includes drafts of two autobiographies, printed scores, and LPs from Bennett's collection.
- Other: Date acquired: 12/02/2002
- Bennett, Robert Russell, 1894-1981 (Person)
- Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945 (Person)
- Busch, Carl, 1862-1943 (Person)
- Reiner, Fritz, 1888-1963 (Person)
- Cherubini, Luigi, 1760-1842 (Person)
- Marcello, Benedetto, 1686-1739 (Person)
- Teasdale, Sara, 1884-1933 (Person)
- Adler, Larry (Person)
- Billings, William, 1746-1800 (Person)
- Chaucer, Geoffrey, -1400 (Person)
- Foster, Stephen Collins, 1826-1864 (Person)
- Salzedo, Carlos, 1885-1961 (Person)
- Gershwin, George, 1898-1937 (Person)
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979 (Person)
- Gibson, David Allen, 1928-2004 (Person)
- Schwartz, Arthur, 1900-1984 (Person)
- Raksin, David (Person)
- Phillips, Harvey, 1929-2010 (Person)
- Bennett, Louis J. (Person)
40.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged in six series, one of which has been further arranged in subseries. The contents of each series or subseries are arranged alphabetically. The series and subseries arrangement of the records is as follows: Series 1: Original Compositions, 1911-1981 Subseries 1: Orchestral Music, 1926-1971 Subseries 2: Stage Works, 1916-1972 Subseries 3: Wind Band, 1965-1981 Subseries 4: Chamber Music, 1911-1974 Subseries 5: Vocal Music, 1917-1975 Subseries 6: "Radio Orchestra" Compositions, 1940-1945 Series 2: Arrangements Subseries 1: "Radio Orchestra" Arrangements Subseries 2: Arrangements of Other Composer's Works Subseries 3: Victory at Sea, 1952-1953 Series 3: Miscellaneous Sketches and Scores Series 4: Prose Works Series 5: Printed Scores, 1913-1979 Series 6: Long-Playing Albums, 196-, 1971-1980
When Bennett died in August of 1981, these scores were held in trust by the Philadelphia National Bank for the income benefit of his daughter Beatrice Jean Bennett, who would pass away in February 2001.
Method of Acquisition
Donated by Kean McDonald to the Music Library on February 12, 2002.
Accruals and Additions
Received Five improvisations for flute, cello, and piano from Frances Blaisdell on Dec. 3, 2003.
Photocopies of manuscripts discarded. Duplicate printed Bennett scores and unmarked printed scores by other composers were added to the circulating collection as needed or discarded.
Initially arranged by Michael Duffy and Don Roberts from the original 22 shipping boxes into 91 boxes in 2002; preliminary inventory of that work exists; reordered by Morris S. Levy in summer 2010.
- Guide to the Robert Russell Bennett papers
- Morris S. Levy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Music Library Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US