Northwestern Medical School, Records of the Dean
Scope and Contents
These records of the deans of the Northwestern University Medical School date from 1956 through 1994. The bulk of the records encompass the period 1970-1989. Including both incoming and outgoing correspondence, reports, and other forms of documentation, they are divided into five subseries: general files, committee files, departmental files, files relating to hospitals affiliated with the Medical School, and files pertaining to the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation.
General files form the largest subseries, more than 26 boxes, and are organized alphabetically by topical headings. Major groupings of files concern alumni; the American Medical Association; the Association of American Medical Colleges; the Council of Medical Deans; Founders Day; Northwestern University departments, officers and programs; planning efforts; the Sprague Institute, students and student affairs; and student research.
Committee files fill approximately ten boxes and are divided into general and search categories. Both categories are alphabetized by file headings and relate to major administrative functions and faculty governance at the Medical School and to School efforts to recruit officers, administrators and faculty.
Departmental files are arranged alphabetically in nearly 17 boxes by name of School department. The files pertain to the activities and administration of each major department of the School whether administrative, support, or research and teaching.
Files relating to School-affiliated hospitals fill about 16 boxes. They are arranged in alphabetical order by name of hospital. Teaching hospitals or hospitals with which Northwestern had especially close or long-standing arrangements may be represented by significant runs of material. The Schools relations with the McGaw Medical Center, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and the Veteran's Administration hospitals, especially its Lakeside facility, are well documented. These records concern administrative arrangements, research and teaching, and student residencies.
Slightly more than one box of Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation files completes the series.
- 1956 - 1994
- Other: Majority of material found within 1970 - 1989
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Medical School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection may contain sensitive materials; consultation with University Archivist required prior to use.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored at a remote campus location and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
Language of Materials
These records of the deans of the Northwestern University Medical School date from 1956 through 1994. Including both incoming and outgoing correspondence, reports, and other forms of documentation, they are divided into five subseries: general files, committee files, departmental files, files relating to hospitals affiliated with the Medical School, and files pertaining to the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation.
Within each series, folders are primarily organized alphabetically by topical subject heading or organization title.
Method of Acquisition
The University Archives acquired these records in two accessions: 99-120 and 99-134.
Mike Szajewski, Stephen Rettger and Nathan Edwards; April - July, 2007.
- Guide to the Northwestern Medical School, Records of the Dean
- Mike Szajewski, Stephen Rettger and Nathan Edwards
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US