Indiana University. School of Music
The university was founded in 1820 and began to offer music instruction in 1893. A music department was organized, at Bloomington, in 1910; in 1921 it was made a school of music. Under the deanship (1947–73) of Wilfred C. Bain the school experienced great expansion which has made it one of the largest and best-equipped schools of music in the country. Charles H. Webb succeeded Bain. In the mid-1990s over 1400 students were enrolled at the school, whose teaching staff numbered about 140. Degrees are offered in performing, theory, composition and musicology, as well as in recording technology, stagecraft and string instrument building; an artist diploma is also awarded. The school has a strong opera programme. The library houses almost 550,000 items, including nearly 160,000 recordings; rare books and music (including over 125,000 titles of American sheet music and the personal papers of Hoagy Carmichael) are in the university’s Lilly Library. Other important resources include an Early Music Institute, a Latin American Music Center, a Black Music Center and the Archives of Traditional Music.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract The papers of composer/conductor Jean Martinon consist of materials created by Martinon himself (including published and unpublished manuscript scores and arrangements of compositions written between 1935 and 1975), and biographical and other materials produced or collected by the Jean Martinon Society and the Association Jean Martinon.
Dates: 1923-1994; Other: Date acquired: 05/12/1988