Chicago Symphony Orchestra
The Chicago Orchestra was formed in 1891, with Ferdinand W. Peck as president. Theodore Thomas, who with his orchestra had visited Chicago for several seasons and was to be musical director of the World's Columbian Exposition (1893), was appointed its first conductor. The orchestra performed in the Auditorium Theatre, and moved in 1904 to the new 2566-seat Orchestra Hall. Thomas died in 1905; from 1906 it was called the Theodore Thomas Orchestra, and in 1912 it was renamed the Chicago SO. Thomas's successors were his assistant, Frederick Stock (1905–42), Désiré Defauw (1943–7), Artur Rodziński (1947–8), Rafael Kubelík (1950–53), Fritz Reiner (1953–63), Jean Martinon (1963–9), Georg Solti (1969–91) and Daniel Barenboim (from 1991).
CitationAuthor: Morris S. Levy
Grove Music Online, June 4, 2010
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Jean Martinon Papers consist of materials created by composer/conductor Jean Martinon himself (including published and unpublished manuscript scores and arrangements of compositions written between 1935 and 1975, as well as biographical and other materials produced or collected by the Jean Martinon Society and the Association Jean Martinon.
Abstract The Oldberg papers are arranged in four boxes and relate to his activities with and on behalf of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestral Association. The papers are organized into two major categories: general correspondence and subject files.
Abstract Conductor Fritz Reiner's correspondence collection includes both personal and business correspondence, including letters to family, friends, and fans, and papers regarding his work with the Curtis Institute of Music and the Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Chicago Symphony Orchestras. Carlotta Reiner's correspondence is also heavily represented.